What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Search broken in iPad User Guide ?

larrymcg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using iPad 2 with latest iOS 6.1.3. I've got the iPad User Guide from iBooks. I'm looking at it via Safari. I'm tring to use the user guide's own search facility (not the Safari search at the top of the window). When I start typing a search term, the Search window appears just below the search term - this is where I would expect to see potential hits and finally a list of hits. However, the Search window is all black so I can not see anything that might be in it. I believe there are hits listed, I just can't see them. If I tap withing the search window it does go somewhere.

I believe this used to work for me. I have killed and restarted Safari (to clean out any old cobwebs) to no avail. I can't find any setting that would cause this.

Suggestions?

--Larry

OP
larrymcg

larrymcg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see that there are several levels of resetting. I'm still researching the options. But my first impression is that a reset is more than I want to try at this point. I'll keep looking.
By the way, rebooting (power off/on) didn't help and killing/restarting Safari didn't either.
--Larry

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see that there are several levels of resetting. I'm still researching the options. But my first impression is that a reset is more than I want to try at this point. I'll keep looking.
By the way, rebooting (power off/on) didn't help and killing/restarting Safari didn't either.
--Larry

I would say that the 'reset' that HardMetalAlchemy is referring to is very much like a reboot to your pc.....it does not change anything on your iPad although it is a great step to do for clearing problems.

Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you may see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

Let us know if it does in fact work for you.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The online version of the manual is doing the same thing for me, which means it's probably a problem with the site, not your iPad. I'd guess Apple will clean it up soon, if hey have not already. You can try clearing cookies and data in Settings > Safari to see if that helps speed things along. This will clear all your site logins, so be prepared to re-enter you passwords on sites that usually remember you.

I'd like to point out that if you are using Safari, then your not actually looking at the iBooks version of the manual. You can only do that through the iBook app.

If you don't have iBooks, then you can download it from the App Store. The iBooks Store is accessed from within the iBook app. There you can search for and download (for free) the iBooks version of the iPad Users Guide. There's more than one version, so make sure you get the iOS 6 one.

It's a much better experience than the online (or PDF) versions of the manual, so I highly recommend it.

-----

There are three versions of the iPad User Guide: the web site version which you can find in Safari's bookmarks, a PDF version that can be downloaded from Apple's support site, and the iBook version available in the iBooks Store.

OP
larrymcg

larrymcg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet, thanks for that info on the various versions of the ipad use guide - I now have the iBooks version - very nice and searching works very nicely. And thanks for the info that the search in the Safari version doesn't work for you too. No need to reset my iPad.
Cheers,
Larry

Most reactions

Latest posts