What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sealant gap in screen?

Black9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So when my iPad 2 is screen facing downwards and I look at on side of the screen I notice a small gap along 1 inch long that let's light break through ever so slightly as if the sealant isn't properly sealing the screen? Although I can't notice any apbacklight bleed is this a common problem and would this warrant a return?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So when my iPad 2 is screen facing downwards and I look at on side of the screen I notice a small gap along 1 inch long that let's light break through ever so slightly as if the sealant isn't properly sealing the screen? Although I can't notice any apbacklight bleed is this a common problem and would this warrant a return?

Several members have reported similar problems; eventually dirt will ingress. Return it....

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/26383-dirt-under-home-screen-ok.html

Tim

OP
B

Black9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, though the gap is not at the corner but just off centre of the lower part of the screen! Seems I'll have to take another trip to Glasgow. Will they return it, or just try to repair it?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, though the gap is not at the corner but just off centre of the lower part of the screen! Seems I'll have to take another trip to Glasgow. Will they return it, or just try to repair it?

Can't you take it to the Apple Store in Edinburgh? (that's where your profile says you are).

As Marie says, they always give you a new one - though it may be in a plain box, which confuses some people.

Tim

PS make sure you back it first....

OP
B

Black9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's a store called cancom in Edinburgh which deal with certain apple stuff but don't do repairs or replacement, hence the reason I have to go to Glasgow. Very frustrating!

The reason they give it to you in a plain box is because it's a re-manufactured device not a "new" one which I find very unfair. According to them they only give a new one if it's been taken back within the first 14 days. Seems pretty rubbish to me after spending all that cash on a device.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All our reports show that Apple do not replace defective units with re-manufactured devices so I was wondering where your information came from?

Tim

OP
B

Black9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The information I have came from more than 1 Apple store staff member. Where is the info that they are replaced with new units? Are the new units sent from apple direct or can they also be exchanged in an apple store?

arbor53

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took mine back today, they had none in stock but they put one on order for me, and I asked if I will get a new one or refurbished, and was told they only replace with new ones

OP
B

Black9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When they say new, I think they mean re-manufactured. As they said the same thing to me and when I double checked if the device was "new" they said it's a factory re-manufactured model.

According to them, the only time you get brand new, in the box iPad is if it's within the first 14 days the return takes place! Hence the reason I think it just comes in a unmarked plain box and not an official Apple iPad box.

But if I'm wrong could someone correct me as I'll be going into apple and having a word with the manager as I recieved a reconditioned unit.....

Most reactions

Latest posts