What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SD card reader no longer working

danibrent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have used my SD card reader for months, same camera, same card, now suddenly it's not working. I have updated my iPad but still nothing happens when I insert the SD card. Any one else having this issue?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried a complete power down of the iPad? It usually fixes a whole stack of 'issues' that Members come across.

Tim

OP
D

danibrent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep tried that! My iPad seems to not even recognize the device...... When I put it into my iPhone it says device is not supported?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you say 'SD Card Reader' do you mean the official Apple Camera Connection Kit SD Card reader? You also say that you 'updated'. I'm not sure, of course, from what version of iOS you updated from and to, but in the not-too-distant past, Apple reduced very considerably the current drive capability of the 'USB' connector so that many third-party card readers now no longer work. The Apple Camera Connection Kit works - of course! - but the new current drive capability is only 10 mA and very few third-party card readers can work with that current.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
After you copy the pictures from the card to another device or computer, try reformating the SD card in the camera, take a few pictures and see if that fixed it.

If that works just remember to always refomat and erase you camera's SD cards in the camera. Even erasing on the computer can cause minor changes in the formatting. Besides being a potential problem for the iPad, it can (in very rare instances) corupt the file system on the card and cause the camera to fail to store the pictures correctly. If that happens even your computer will have problems retrieving the files.

OP
D

danibrent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it is the official Apple Camera Connection Kit SD Card reader. Tried reformatting the SD card........ No luck :(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Does it (the CCK) work with other SD cards?

Since the power down did not work, try a Reset and see if that helps?

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Most reactions

Latest posts