What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

screenshot for one hand

duane518

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a work around for taking a screenshot for a person with only one hand?
Holding down the home button and the sleep button can't be done with one hand because they
are too far apart.

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is an app called Screenshot for taking screenshots of web pages and it's free. Don't think it will take a screenshot of the desktop on the ipad though.

EDIT: Don't waist your time with Screenshot. It's a junk app for the iphone

snoitan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't see anything in the accessibility options, but you could always hold the iPad upside down and use a table to press the suspend button while you press the home button. Not the best solution, but it could work if you really need a screenshot. You could lock the rotation if you needed to make sure the screenshot came out right.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
snoitan said:
I didn't see anything in the accessibility options, but you could always hold the iPad upside down and use a table to press the suspend button while you press the home button. Not the best solution, but it could work if you really need a screenshot. You could lock the rotation if you needed to make sure the screenshot came out right.

As the OP has an iPad 2 I think that would be a recipe for disaster.....with the result most likely being a broken screen as the on/off button is set below the top of the iPad.

The Archangel

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it doesn't appear there is the capability to take one-handed screenshots. I had a look through the AssistiveTouch options in the Settings app ... nothing.

You can do one-handed operations if you have a jail broken iPad (and the Activator tweak from Cydia). I, personally, use a "tap and press" action to take screenshots on my iPad.

But, you've gotta jailbreak to get that; it's not possible on a stock iPad. Sorry.

Marilyn

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How about this method.Hold the iPad in your hand,with a finger on the off button.Hold the end with the home button against your chest and use a stylus or other suitable object held in your mouth to push the home button at the same time you push the off button with your finger.I tried it myself and it works.

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wonder if we ask one of the app writers if one of them would write a small app for him. Do any of you know any ?

The hard part would be getting Apple to approve it for the app store in a decent time frame.

Last edited:
OP
D

duane518

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
Actually the way scifan57 mentioned is the way I have been doing it. It does work that way, but it's a little awkward.
I just wondered if there was a work around or short cut.

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Before electronic/wireless came along, photographers used a mechanical or pneumatic shutter release to remotely fire the shutter. Amazon still lists a few of the mechanical type. Would there be a way to mount the mechanism so that you could slide the home button under and with one hand activate both buttons?

Last edited:

Mikey94025

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a work around for taking a screenshot for a person with only one hand?
Holding down the home button and the sleep button can't be done with one hand because they
are too far apart.

With the latest iOS AssistiveTouch there's an even better way to take a single-handed screenshot:

1. Press the AssistiveTouch home icon to display the options overlay. Hint: You can enable AssistiveTouch all the time or set triple-click Home to bring it up.

2. Press the Device icon.

3. Press the More icon.

4. Press the Screenshot icon.

And taking the screenshot this way also removes the AssistiveTouch overlay from the picture.

Thanks Apple!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With the latest iOS AssistiveTouch there's an even better way to take a single-handed screenshot:

1. Press the AssistiveTouch home icon to display the options overlay. Hint: You can enable AssistiveTouch all the time or set triple-click Home to bring it up.

2. Press the Device icon.

3. Press the More icon.

4. Press the Screenshot icon.

And taking the screenshot this way also removes the AssistiveTouch overlay from the picture.

Thanks Apple!

And for a visual-have a look here!

I love assistive touch -- have been using it for a long time now!

image-369557821.jpg

Most reactions