What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

screen rotation

poppet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have owned my iPad for a couple of years now without a problem and I use Sky news as a news prog. Until now it has always displayed in the book format but this has changed now to the landscape mode...the pictures overlap the words and is unreadable. All my other apps rotate when I want but Sky refuses to move. Is there a quick and easy answer to this please.

OP
P

poppet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi scifan57, the problem could have started after an app update, I remember having a few updates at the same time.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It looks like Sky News has not been updated since September 2014.

If you have not done so you should give these a try.

Clear the app from RAM using the app switcher. Double tap the home button, then swipe up on the Sky News app.

Reset the iPad. Hold down the. Home and Power buttons until the Apple logo appears.

If neither of those soves the problem you can try deleting and reinstalling the app.

While it does not happen all the time, there is always a chance an app will break with a new iOS version. I'd contact the develpers and see if they have plans to update the app. If it's been abandoned, then even if you get it working you might want to start looking around for a good replacement.

OP
P

poppet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow thanks for trying to help but could I have it in English, I am a silver surfer with little experience of pc or ipad and I don't know what all the buttons and bells mean.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Cleaering RAM just means you're forcing the iPad to restart the app from scratch. Sometimes errors creap into a running app. Just like any other project that goes awry, sometime the easiest thing to do is throw it out and start over.

So, in more detail. You double press the Home button (round button on the front). This will show you a side scrolling list of recenlty used apps. Swipe up on the app you want to clear. Tap the Home button again to go back to the main screen.

Reseting the iPad is the same thing, but you're doing it to the entire iPad; forcing it to start everything clean. It's even a little more effective than turning your iPad off, then back on. Think of it as restarting with swift kick to the tush just to make sure the iPad gets the message.

It's easy to do. You just hold down the Home and Power (on top right edge when home button is at the bottom) buttons at the same time until you see the Apple logo. Let the buttons go and the iPad will finish rebooting. Done.

It is also possible for the app itself to get corrupted. In that case the app itself has to be thrown out and re-installed.

To do this tap-hold on the app (or any app) until they all start to jiggle (Apple's choice of words). A small (x) will appear in the corner of the app. Tap this to delete the app.

Go to the App Store and look under the Purchased tab. You should see your app with a small cloud and down arrow icon. Tap on this to redownload the app. It's free, even if the app cost money when you bought it. You can also search for the app and find it that way.

If you have a subscription or other paid content in the app you may have to sign back in, or restore purchases. If this is an issue, ask, and we'll see if we can help. It tends to be a bit different in each app.

If you don't have a copy, I recommend you go to the iBook Store (in the iBook app) and download the most recent version of the iPad User Guide. I think it is iOS 9.2. Browsing through it may give you a better idea of how the iPad works, and it makes a good refernce.

OP
P

poppet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
many thanks twerppoet you have made it much clearer for me, I will do as you suggest and give it a go, I will also purchase the book you recommend.

OP
P

poppet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
very useful info scifan57 this should save me a few pennies. thank you.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here's where you can go to get the free iPad user guide. Apple - Support - Manuals

The PDF version anyway. I'm going to be picky and say I much prefer the the iBook version. It's far easier to navigate and search. I only recomend the PDF version to those that need to read the manaul on something other than an iOS device.

Both versions are free.

Here's the iBooks Store link:
iPad User Guide for iOS 9.2 by Apple Inc. on iBooks

Edit: Appologies. For some stupid reason the link is going to the Music store insead of iBooks. If it's a web based problem it should correct itself eventully. If not, you just search for iPad User Guide in the iBook app.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts