What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen Replaced, Touch ID Not Working

NoBite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently, I had a third party replace the screen on my iPad Air2. After the fact, I learned that the Home Button and screen are paired at the factory which enables Touch ID to be set up. My screen was replaced, but I apparently have my original Home Button. Touch ID is not functional, option to set up a new fingerprint is grayed out, not available. I get an error message saying the Touch ID setup is not complete. A Google search has led me to several hardware solutions that involve removing the screen and tinkering with wires and such. I am certainly not going there! I also ran across a recommendation to use DFU Mode. I have been unable to get into that mode. So, I am asking this group, has anyone else encountered this issue? If so, have you found a way to re-establish Touch ID yourself? I get that I can take the iPad to an Apple Store Genius Bar. The nearest one is 3 hours from me. Thanks for any tips!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Only Apple or Apple authorized repair centres can get Touch ID working after a screen replacement. Only they have the equipment to link the replacement components to get Touch ID to work. Unfortunately, since your screen was replaced by a third party repair service, Apple will no longer service it.

Last edited:

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is a slight chance that the home button cable wasn’t fully reinserted during the repair but that usually leads to home button not functioning at all. The odds are that the home button cable was damaged during screen replacement. There is no way to restore Touch ID at this point. Apple won’t touch it since it’s been to a third party for repair.

OP
NoBite

NoBite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I was afraid that was the case. Hoped for another solution. You live and learn!

Most reactions