What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen protector and case advice

ianpwilliams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm planning on buying an iPad Mini 2 soon, and I want some protection for it. Apologies for the long post

Usually I would get a screen protector (i.e. one of those film-like devices where you gradually push the protector onto the screen using a card, hopefully eliminating air bubbles, and then removing the backing. I've done this for my phone, and I did it for my iPod Touch 4G, and in fact I actually also put my iPod Touch 4G inside a Griffin Survivor case as well for good measure.

But because the screen on the iPad Mini 2 is so much bigger, I'm really not keen on putting an adhesive screen protector on it if I can. That being the case, I'd quite like to encase the iPad with a case instead, most likely the Otterbox Defender case or even another Griffin Survivor case, because I do like those, and I don't mind the bulk.

However, a while back I bought an Otterbox Defender case for a relative of mine whom I knew was getting an iPad Mini 2 for her birthday, but when I tried to put the case on the iPad the screen went all strange, looking like it had massive air bubbles on it because it was clearly having pressure put on it. But I don't know if this was a design flaw in that particular case or if generally-speaking these devices need to have a film screen protector put on them before an Otterbox, Griffin, or other case can encase them. After all, my iPod Touch 4G was fine when I put it inside the Griffin Survivor case, but that already had a screen protector on it first.

So does anyone know if the Otterbox Defender and the Griffin Survivor required the iPad Mini 2 to have a film screen protector on them before putting the case on? Or am I ok to go ahead and buy either case, safe in the knowledge that it should work fine without a screen protector?

And can anyone recommend any other cases should the above two not be as good for the iPad?

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello inpwillaims
The Otterbox saved my iPad mini2 just the other day! Yup I dropped it.
I've had two Otterbox's on two mini's. Never had a Griffin.
Both of these are good. I see no reason to use a screen protector with either one of these. There are some rainbow laminated looking anomalies on the cover when outside light hits it in a certain way. It's only a minor annoyance.
The cover does not seem to affect the sensitivity of the screen at all.
I might try the Griffin next time, maybe. Hope this helps!

OP
I

ianpwilliams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, yes it looks like both are quite popular. I like the Griffin because it makes the device easier to grip. And I've watched YouTube videos of both being put on and there's no mention of screen protectors, so it looks like it should be fine.

Most reactions

Latest posts