What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen locked and strange icon

Fifialfa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, why my ipad screen locked ( when i move my ipad the screen wasnt change the way it is) and in upper right beside battery icon there was an locked with circle arrow icon, how can i resolve my problem.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have got the screen orientation lock on. Depending up the version of the iPad's operating system, iOS, this lock can either be set by the switch that's next to the iPad volume control or by a soft control that you can access by double-tapping the Home key and 'flicking' the screen to the right. There you'll find the control that can also be used to disable the screen lock.

In iOS 4.3 you are able to re-assign the function of the slider switch to be either the orientation lock or the system sound mute button in the iPad's 'Settings' menu.

Tim

OP
F

Fifialfa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im using ios 4.3.1 and try to do as you says, but the knob beside of the volume control was for disable and enable volume control doesnt affect to my screen orientation lock

OP
F

Fifialfa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry guys i got wrong with my version, im using 4.2.1 and i try checking the setting-general but cant find set side slider not even a slider word

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry guys i got wrong with my version, im using 4.2.1 and i try checking the setting-general but cant find set side slider not even a slider word

If you've got iOS 4.2 then double-tap the Home button to reveal the multi-task bar. Swipe the screen to the right and there you'll find the control (far left) that will allow you to enable the screen orientation.

Tim

Cdtolia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fifialfa said:
Thanks Tim, now i learned new thing from you

Hi, i have ipad2 with ver 4.3.2 (8H7). My orientation got locked to potrait mode & just doesnot change when i move the ipad eitherways.

I have tried reset the setting to factory settings, formatting to factory stage. Nothing works, this is now the latest version of os i have loaded. The side switch doesnot work, not changing it to mute button & then double clicking to extreme left with the orientation icon work!

I am in india & have got the ipad2 as a gift from a friend from US. Still ipad2 is not launched in india hence no support is available. Pls help me out.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fifialfa said:

Hi, i have ipad2 with ver 4.3.2 (8H7). My orientation got locked to potrait mode & just doesnot change when i move the ipad eitherways.

I have tried reset the setting to factory settings, formatting to factory stage. Nothing works, this is now the latest version of os i have loaded. The side switch doesnot work, not changing it to mute button & then double clicking to extreme left with the orientation icon work!

I am in india & have got the ipad2 as a gift from a friend from US. Still ipad2 is not launched in india hence no support is available. Pls help me out.

If you double-tap the Home button, then swipe the screen right at the bottom, you should see the iPod controls and, at the very far left, what will be the orientation control lock. You can use this to release the orientation control and unlock the screen. If you want to re-assign the control the switch near the volume control, you can do this in 'Settings'

Tim

rne66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
screen lock problems

I've had similar problems with the screen orientation locking even when the lock is off, also with it choosing completely the wrong orientation and refusign to budge.

Simple solution is to power off and on again (turn it off and on again - no where have I heard that before?).

I wonder if it needs to be powered off occassionally. I do with my iPhone just to get some peace, but with the iPad I've got no cause to. Maybe it just needs a chance to reset itself.

Any views?

Cdtolia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear Tim, that double tapping thing, changing the settings, resetting nothing works!
Rgds....Cdtolia.

Fifialfa said:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear Tim, that double tapping thing, changing the settings, resetting nothing works!
Rgds....Cdtolia.

Fifialfa said:

What version of iOS do you have?

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you sure you've tried both the slide switch next to the volume control and, as a separate test, double-tapping the Home button, flicking the screen to right and then looking at the far right-hand side of the multi-task bar - where there is the orientation control lock.

Have you looked in 'Settings' to see whether you have the orientation lock assigned to the switch or the multi-task bar?

You said it 'doesn't work' when you double-tap the Home button - but do you at least see the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen? Can you flick the multi-task bar right and, if so, what do you see at the far left-hand side of the bar?

Tim

Most reactions