What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen leaking right on bottom (on the screen, where home button is)

Laineyhigg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took my iPad back last week because of the light leakage. I got the new one home and it was worse than the first one. Went back yesterday and spoke to a Genius. He told me that this is a known production issue and it won't do me any good to keep turning in my iPad until a new batch is made without the defect. He said he would switch it out one more time so I asked him to check the new one in the dark in the back room. He did and said it was no better than my current one so he is ordering me a new one in hopes it will be from the new batch without the defect. My husband's boss didn't think his had the issue until he looked at it in a dark room but it doesn't bother him. It bothers me when I'm watching movies in a dark room - it is distracting. I have a feeling everyone has the issue but some just don't notice it or aren't bothered by it. Btw I've heard of the issue on the white and black and on AT&T and Verizon.

OP
C

Cadena96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took my iPad back last week because of the light leakage. I got the new one home and it was worse than the first one. Went back yesterday and spoke to a Genius. He told me that this is a known production issue and it won't do me any good to keep turning in my iPad until a new batch is made without the defect. He said he would switch it out one more time so I asked him to check the new one in the dark in the back room. He did and said it was no better than my current one so he is ordering me a new one in hopes it will be from the new batch without the defect. My husband's boss didn't think his had the issue until he looked at it in a dark room but it doesn't bother him. It bothers me when I'm watching movies in a dark room - it is distracting. I have a feeling everyone has the issue but some just don't notice it or aren't bothered by it. Btw I've heard of the issue on the white and black and on AT&T and Verizon.

That's because they're all the same, minus 3g and wifi...but att and verizon have some placement....verizon's just gives you tumors faster...lol (it's well known that verizon has better 3g coverage b/c they increase a frequency that allows greater distance reception (from towers) and is proven to increase chance of tumors...

Colors don't matter either, it's just a different front shell, the interior, which is leaking the light, is the problem, something that regardless of color, model or media size, doesn't change...

Naked...put your finger over the back camera, take a completely black pic, turn lights off in room and view that pic...lol...

only 1 out of every 7 ipads is free of this issue...3 are horrible, and 3 are noticeable, but still affected...check the rates..it's a good product so people are willing to deal wiht issues..if this was microsoft, people would throw sh*t fits all day long...apple they take...b/c they're computers are really not all that customizable or able of doing major things...and the fact they're no dev support for apple except apple itself...can't beat google and microsoft combined, that's a monopoly til the end of time...

Last edited:

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I posted here before about the light leakage on the top right of my screen. Well, I took it to Apple today and walked out in 10 minutes with a new one. I have exchanged a iPad 1 and a 3GS twice each before, It's easy. And they were not hesitant at all to exchange it for this issue. The new one has no light leakage at all.

Just in case anyone is new to all this I thought I'd tell some things to maybe make it smoother. Might be a lot of first time owners reading here...

Make an appointment here... http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ ...at my local store you have to make a appointment, no walk-ins.

You don't need a paper receipt. When you make the appointment sign in with your Apple ID/password and your good to go. it doesn't matter if you bought it at Best Buy or the Dollar Store, you can still bring it to Apple.

Only bring the iPad. You don't need the box and cables and I don't think they'll exchange them unless they are defective as well anyway.

You might want to take a picture and/or screenshot (press the sleep and home button at the same time and it's in the native photo app) of it on a black page in a dark room. I snapped a picture with my finger over the camera lens and another of a screenshot of a Kindle book with the text setting on white. Just a thought I had in case I happened upon a unhelpful employee. But I didn't even need to show them it even though it was hardly noticeable at all in the store lights.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to apple

I too am experiencing the same issue. I have approximately 9 spots. I'm usually not that picky but I dont know what my options are in terms of exchange. I purchased the ipad 2 at target. Will Apple take over from here? or will Target be in charge of the replacement?

Target...I'd return it, and go buy it at apple...it's ALWAYS the store until the warranty kicks in...when it's manufacturer warranty, it's the store, when it's extended warranty it becomes apple...

Target isn't bad, but apple would be ignorant to not stand by their product, especially a multi billion dollar a year revenue source

Doesn't sound like it's too much of an issue with too many people, but I'm extremely particular, I mean I'm spending 830$ on this, the money isn't the issue, I just want it to be right, as promised, from day one..

i understand what you mean about getting it right, but i think it'd be better to take it to apple store for effieciency. theres no telling when target can replace or even apple stores. i would rather have the product and await replacement than no product awaiting. if it's anything like the apple store here, they had reserves of each model, just in case of issues and exchanges. This is great. I wasn't even upset that I couldn't purchase one of them. I thought about how it would feel to maybe have a real lemon with broken glass or something and need that immediate replacement. Apple tends to do well with customer service. But yea, I would take it to an Apple store. Your Serial Number will get you more results than money will right now.

Madchiller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Apple store ordered me a replacement, but they said 5-10 days for it to arrive. I will let you know how it goes.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

That's because they're all the same, minus 3g and wifi...but att and verizon have some placement....verizon's just gives you tumors faster...lol (it's well known that verizon has better 3g coverage b/c they increase a frequency that allows greater distance reception (from towers) and is proven to increase chance of tumors...

Please provide a source for this conjecture. Any (so far unproven) risk of getting tumors from cell frequencies only happens when you hold a cell phone to your head. Unless you use your iPad on your ear there's nothing to worry about anyway.

Colors don't matter either, it's just a different front shell, the interior, which is leaking the light, is the problem, something that regardless of color, model or media size, doesn't change...

Naked...put your finger over the back camera, take a completely black pic, turn lights off in room and view that pic...lol...

only 1 out of every 7 ipads is free of this issue...3 are horrible, and 3 are noticeable, but still affected...check the rates..it's a good product so people are willing to deal wiht issues..if this was microsoft, people would throw sh*t fits all day long...apple they take...b/c they're computers are really not all that customizable or able of doing major things...and the fact they're no dev support for apple except apple itself...can't beat google and microsoft combined, that's a monopoly til the end of time...

Again, where are you getting your data? Apple certainly doesn't supply these numbers. If you're going by anecdotal web reports remember, people who don't have problems usually don't seek out support from then internet community.

It's kind of like taking your car to the dealership and deciding that the brand is no good because all the cars in the repair shop were broken.

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tumors? Oh man, that's not good. I hold my iPhone down kind of close to my groin when using it for games and surfing the net. I read a lot of police officers got cancer down there because they used to lay the old radar guns on their lap waiting to nab a speeder.

Madchiller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got my replacement Ipad 2 in 2 days. It still has a little bleed, but its much better.

Petersenjp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just wrote a small thread on this. Apple has stated most all iPads will have back light bleeding. The apple store here said it'd not even worth replacing for awhile...well, they said that after my second one which is worse then the first. Do be ware, a lot if the replacements are worse then the original.

Petersenjp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If unsure how to see it, either watch a wide screen movie or download the flashlight app and turn the color to black. At least, that's how I see it

Most reactions