What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen going black constantly

glassyg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have version 4.2.1 on an Ipad 1. It has always worked just fine (since January) until last week when we were riding along in the car and I tried to get to ebay. The screen turned black. I did the reboot and it came back, but after trying to use it for a few minutes it went black again. So I came home and looked up on this board what to do. I saw that downloading the latest version would fix it. I've tried downloading the newest version 3 times. It takes 3 hours on my internet connection and just as it gets to the last minute after all 900 something mbs are downloaded according to the screen, it says can not process and that's the end of that. I can only use my ipad a couple minutes and it goes black. I have to reboot 2 or 3 times to actually get it to come back on. Any suggestions? Is it because I don't have the latest version of the software? Thanks.

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try going to setting > general > reset all contents and settings. If that doesn't work, than try restoring through iTunes and updating to 4.3.5. You will have to reinstall apps but it might fix it, so worth trying.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
G

glassyg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update. Resetting didn't work. I went to BestBuy and the Geeksquad restored and updated my software to the latest version. The Ipad worked for a few hours. Then the screen went black again and rebooting did not bring it back, just an apple breaking into pieces on the screen. I got on my computer and went to the apple support page, asked for an apple advisor to call me - which they did in less than a minute. I was on hold about 2 minutes. I told her my problem, she said they'd send me a box to return this one and they'd send me another as soon as they got it. So, problem solved.

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe there's a short somewhere that was causing it. At least Apple remedied the situation fairly quick.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts