What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen Cleaning

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use a microfiber cloth and my breath 98% of the time. If I get worse stuff on it (from the 18 month old son), I will on occasion add a little spritz of eyeglass cleaner.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I have a Ghost Armor scratch proof protactor on my screen so I just wipe it of whit what ever i have available. No worries about scratching or messing it up.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
As I say in the countless other threads asking this same question.... microfiber cloth, cheap and all you need.....

marichards

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Cleaning

Microfiber cloth (same as I use for computer screens, eyegglasses, sunglasses) works great for me.

pik0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.TheDailyMapper.com
Like all optical glass, never clean it with anything dry. You'll just grind the oils and accumulated dust and cause micro-scratches that build up over time.

We've had the best luck with Windex Wipes. Clears all the oils and dust and doesn't leave any streaks or residue. Usually takes two to get it really clean, sometimes three. Just remember to work and turn and towelette keeping the dirty side folding in.

I recommend against using any of these microfiber towels precisely because you don't know what abrasives that could have accumulated. Even fine dust particles can scratch.

Piko

keroro1979

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like all optical glass, never clean it with anything dry. You'll just grind the oils and accumulated dust and cause micro-scratches that build up over time.

We've had the best luck with Windex Wipes. Clears all the oils and dust and doesn't leave any streaks or residue. Usually takes two to get it really clean, sometimes three. Just remember to work and turn and towelette keeping the dirty side folding in.

I recommend against using any of these microfiber towels precisely because you don't know what abrasives that could have accumulated. Even fine dust particles can scratch.

Piko

Ive heard many people giving this advice on forums for other devices (PSP etc), and didnt pay attention. Until last year when I used the usual microfibre cloth I always use, and it had a tinytiny speck of something which has now scratched the screen. Doh.

I now always have a clear screen protector on my mobile devices, if I can. That way its not an issue. If I cant get one, then I use some cheap lcd tv wipes I got from a local bargain shop (they are individually seales, a bit like wet wipes). They work much better.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Quote from the Apple Important information for the iPad document

"Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPad. iPad has an oleophobic coating on the screen ; simply wipe iPad’s screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands. The ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch your screen."

DUTCH VanAtlanta

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Quote from the Apple Important information for the iPad document

"Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPad. iPad has an oleophobic coating on the screen ; simply wipe iPad’s screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands. The ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch your screen."

+1 on this; and that includes Windex Wipes!

Microfiber cloth every time.

Most reactions

Latest posts