What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scratched screen

dantman6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all one of my delightful children has decided to drag something across the screen or my iPad across something. Either way it has resulted in a scratch pretty much corner to corner.

Has anyone had any experience with polishing a scratch out or replacing the glass.

It is not to deep in most places there is a couple of sections of the line where it is fairly deep. Obviously we are talking fractions of a mm here. The scratch s not effecting the performance but you can see it on light coloured screens.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanking you in anticipation.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would feel that trying to polish the scratch out could very well cause more damage. The screen can be replaced, you can google to find a business that does this, I would only go with an Apple approved business to protect your warranty. I have heard that a screen protector will make the scratch less obvious.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
D

dantman6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the comment. I tried putting the best reviewed protector(amazon reviewed) on my screen originally but you need to be in a hermetically sealed lab to make sure it's on without any dust trapped. I will have another go as you got 2 in a pack I'll report back with my findings in due course, but if my last experience is anything to go by the protector is destined for the bin.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well not sure 'where' you reside, but if there is an Apple store nearby, then take the iPad in for some advice & repair possibilities - good luck! :)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
dantman6 said:
Thanks for the comment. I tried putting the best reviewed protector(amazon reviewed) on my screen originally but you need to be in a hermetically sealed lab to make sure it's on without any dust trapped. I will have another go as you got 2 in a pack I'll report back with my findings in due course, but if my last experience is anything to go by the protector is destined for the bin.

I have a screen protector and I don't have a hermetically sealed lab but I understand the dust problem. I used a microfiber cloth first then applied it in a room with windows closed. Worked well, no bubbles or dust. I used a credit card to skim it on.
As Giradman said you could try an Apple Store, they were at one time replacing shattered iPads as a one time replacement courtesy. It was never a policy and they seem to be pulling back on it now, but you never know, you could get very lucky!! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, don't use commercial cleaners such as Pledge. It'll mess up the anti-fingerprint coating Apple has put on the iPad glass.

For the scratch, I also recommend seeing if Apple can give you a repair estimate. Seems to be the best solution, especially if a screen protector won't hide the scratch.

Sorry to hear about the "accident.". Good luck in your repair journey.

Marilyn

OP
D

dantman6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a definite cracked screen. Tried again with the phonedevil screen protector it just highlighted the crack. Oh well looks like its going to get sent away. Any uk users recommend a repairer? I am quite far away from any apple store.

bluesky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Similar thing happened to a friend but it was a drop induced breakage. The Apple Store actually gave her a new one.

LawPad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, don't use commercial cleaners such as Pledge. It'll mess up the anti-fingerprint coating Apple has put on the iPad glass.

For the scratch, I also recommend seeing if Apple can give you a repair estimate. Seems to be the best solution, especially if a screen protector won't hide the scratch.

Sorry to hear about the "accident.". Good luck in your repair journey.

Marilyn
Wow, I did not know this. What about using eye glass cleaner? More to the point, what chemical should be avoided?

Most reactions