What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scratched screen...replacement cost?

Hotherps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They scanned the serial number and the computer said "yes".... they knew when and I guess where I bought it.

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hotherps said:
Ok, I have been to the Genius Bar this evening and explained the situation.....
initially i was told that scratches were considered cosmetic damage and not covered by the warrantee.... I showed them the Otterbox case that arrived today and said how I had been trying to protect my iPad as best as I could......

I think they took pity on me .... they went and discussed the situation amongst themselves......... I left the store.....

With a brand new 64 g 3G iPad2 , RESULT :D:D

Apple are a WONDERFUL company :)

You lucky boy.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Hrush I think your best option is to get the ghost armour/Zagg case and see how that works for you. Ive heard it does wonders on some scratchs.

Buttafingas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FYI, out of warranty repair (cracked/scratched screen) through Apple is $299. Had that confirmed by Apple repairs.

Hotherps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FYI, out of warranty repair (cracked/scratched screen) through Apple is $299. Had that confirmed by Apple repairs.

It does say on the paperwork that they gave me that it would have cost £274.

I guess they send the iPad back, fit a new screen and then put it up for sale on the refurb store!?!?

mrquod

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I guess they send the iPad back, fit a new screen and then put it up for sale on the refurb store!?!?

Is that EXACTLY what it said?

IIRC, mine stated a 'price' of £232.50. But... didn't state that it would've been for a replacement screen.

I presumed that was the 'cost' of the service they delivered - namely, the cost price of a 64gb wifi iPad.

e2a: some slightly odd pricing information: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ipad+£232.50&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

juanaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also got a scratch on mine. I had a Zagg screen protector installed on my iPad and it looks like new again. I have no idea on a replacement screen price though... I was sick when I got the scratch on mine!

Buttafingas

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Is that EXACTLY what it said?

IIRC, mine stated a 'price' of £232.50. But... didn't state that it would've been for a replacement screen.

I presumed that was the 'cost' of the service they delivered - namely, the cost price of a 64gb wifi iPad.

e2a: some slightly odd pricing information: ipad ?232.50 - Google Search

I'm not sure if they actually send it in for repair or give you a new one for that cost. I have heard that once the epoxy is set on the ipad 2, they almost have to destroy it to get the old screen off. I know that when I had an out of warranty repair for an ipod a while back, they charged me $100 and gave me a new (brown box) ipod. That might be what they would do with the ipad 2.

mrquod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This might be my naïveté, but I just can't believe that apple are selling on scratched iPads. And I can't believe that their business model allows them to scrap THAT many.

Taking the screen off is the only way to access the internals, I'm guessing?

If that is the case, then they'd be taking a $x00 hit every time a headphone jack went wonky.

I've heard the epoxy is pretty darned evil, but I don't credit that theyre throwing all the damaged ones out. I reckon they've got the capacity to fix then, with a comparatively minimal investment of time and energy.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this thread should be mandatory reading for all those posting in the "screen protector or no screen protector" thread. :)
I'm purely amazed at the number of folks that think the iPad2 is "scratch proof"

I'm extremely careful with my electronics and my first iPad had 2 fine scratches on the screen within the first week. Had no idea how it happened - clean hands and always in the case......

All it takes is the right speck of dirt/dust etc on the finger, or worse...

$15 for a protector and 5 minutes of my time and no more worries.

Cheers

mrquod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm purely amazed at the number of folks that think the iPad2 is "scratch proof"

An entirely personal clarification: I didn't think this; I was talked into believing it by the staff at the Apple store.

Apple don't seem to sell screen protectors (my local Apple store certainly doesn't). That seems to be more some weird kind of propaganda than anything that's based on practicalities.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mrquod said:
An entirely personal clarification: I didn't think this; I was talked into believing it by the staff at the Apple store.

Apple don't seem to sell screen protectors (my local Apple store certainly doesn't). That seems to be more some weird kind of propaganda than anything that's based on practicalities.

Sorry if I implied any finger pointing etc. Was not my intention. :)

Just found it odd in the other thread how so many felt the screen protector was a joke or entirely "not required for scratch protection" etc. Obviously just a personal decision for all of us. :)

Cheers

OP
H

hrush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just wanted to update that I did end up with a replacement ipad2 because of the backlight bleed issues! The scratch was irrelevant because apparently, my bleeding issue was worse than I thought! Apple was great about swapping it out!
Thanks for all the insight!
Heidi

Hotherps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess that the bottom line is that you have to decide how you would / will feel when your iPad gets scratched? If you are the sort of person who likes the wabbied look or considers the iPad to be just a tool to be used hard, then OK, go naked... if not get a screen protector.

rgsparber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Daerid said:
Find a place that does the "Ghost Armor" or Zagg invisible armor. Place the protector on the screen, it will make the scratch disappear, then return/replace for screen bleed...

It should work.

I have had Ghost Armor on my iPod touch for almost a year with great results. The slight added friction keeps it from sliding out of my shirt pocket when I bend over. I put it on my iPad 2 as soon as I bought it.

Every day or two I wipe the front and back with eye glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth. Looks like the day I bought it.

Rick

Most reactions

Latest posts