Scratched screen...replacement cost?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by hrush, Apr 25, 2011.

1. hrush

hrush iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anyone know what it would cost to have the screen replaced on my iPad2? I stupidly let my kids use it after playing on the beach and ended up with a 3 inch scratch right across the middle :(...I know...should have had a protector on it!! This is my first apple product and because I couldn't find a protector made for the iPad 2, I assumed it wasn't necessary...a costly mistake!

Anyway, I am wondering how much it would cost to get it replaced. I just brought it in last weekend because I was worried about the bezel separating from the glass near the headphone jack but was told that was "normal". Not sure I agree but whatever! I also have moderate screen bleed on both the bottom and the sides. I didn't show them that last weekend but am thinking maybe I should? If I bring it back in and ask about the bleeding, could they refuse to swap it out because of the scratch?

Just wondering, thanks for any insight!
    Heidi
  2. Mzhunter

Mzhunter iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They advised us that the screen was totally scratched resistant. I was still very nervous and got a screen protector any way. Also I purchased a total of 4 iPad 2's and 2 of them had bleeding issues. I took them back to the Apple store and they were replaced in a matter of days. If this is your issue the screen will not matter. Take it back. Good luck.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  3. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,142 / 1
    @ Mzhunter: It is scratch resistant. That is not scratch proof though. Sand contains a lot of minerals. It's just hrush's bad luck that one of them turned out to be harder than the screen.

@Hrush, take it back. All they can do is say no, and then you are no worse off than you are now.

Though I don't use a screen protector, if I were using it outdoors a lot, especially recreational, I'd get one. I'm sorry you found out the hard way. (unable to resist the pun)
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  4. Daerid

Daerid iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Find a place that does the "Ghost Armor" or Zagg invisible armor. Place the protector on the screen, it will make the scratch disappear, then return/replace for screen bleed...

It should work.
  5. ipaduser434

ipaduser434 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LOL. Do you really think the Apple techs are that dumb?
  6. hrush

hrush iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the advice everyone!
    Do you think the Zagg protector might minimize the appearance of the scratch? It is pretty deep but I am willing to get one instead of paying for a new screen. I could live with that if it saves me a couple hundred bucks!
    Thanks again!
    Heidi
  7. mikesus

mikesus iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First off, honesty is the best policy, see if they will replace it for bleed issue, and if they do great, some folks have been able to get screen scratches replaced in the past, can't hurt to ask. Lying about it tho can bend your moral compass and tarnish your reputation, that is your call...
  8. jmorton10

jmorton10 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I don't see why you would have to lie about anything. If it has screen bleed, that is a factory defect (the scratch is immaterial)

~John
  9. Rudinater

Rudinater iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    We can guess what apple service may do all we want. The only way to know is to take it in and have them look at it. If you don't get a good answer on the visit take it a different apple store or come back at a different time to get a different tech.

While you are talking to the tech talk about the bleeding issue, don't even bring up the scratch.
  10. Daerid

Daerid iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dumb, no. Easily distracted due to so many appointments, yes. I'm not suggesting that someone lie, but make sure that the conversation stays on point. The return would be due to screen bleeding, and a scratch should not keep someone from having their device replaced because of this factory defect.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  11. Daerid

Daerid iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It hid my scratch... And I didn't return mine, I lived with the scratch.
  12. hrush

hrush iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks again for all of the replies. I wasn't planning on lying about anything. I did order the Zagg protector but only to see if it covered up the scratch enough that I could live with it.

I am apprehensive to bring it back in because I was just there and I don't want them to think I am creating problems to get a swap. I do have moderate screen bleed but it honestly doesn't interfere with my everyday use and I feel bad complaining about something that doesn't really bother me.

Hopefully the Zagg cover will improve the look of the scratch...it is really hard to look at right now because of where it is on the screen and the fact that it is deep enough to cause my eyes to focus on it all the time!! If it does not improve, I will look into getting a replacement for the screen bleed issue.
    Thanks again!
  13. mrquod

mrquod iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was advised this in-store; a month (or two) later, despite ALWAYS leaving the magnetic cover on when its not in use, despite living in a house with no kids, and despite only ever leaving the house with the iPad double-wrapped (magnetic cover plus an all-over snug-fitting foam cover), the screen has a scratch. Not massive, but enough for me to wonder where the heck it came from. And enough for me to powerfully regret listening to the advice I was given in-store.
  14. cypress

cypress iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    could it have been some debris that got caught in between at some point ? ^
  15. arbor53

arbor53 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I took mine back today for screen bleed, new one is on order, I didn't use a screen protector on this one and luckily no scratches but after hearing how easy it is to get a scratch I think I will get one for the new iPad2 when it comes in and put it on as soon as I pull it out the box.
  16. mrquod

mrquod iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had wondered this. But what, and how?

The smart cover is designed so that it only folds over / down onto the screen (doesn't slide across). The iPad has been kinda like my baby (not meaning to sound too weird about it, but it was bought to make writing my PhD thesis easier / more enjoyable. I'm a final-year PhD student, I - literally - bankrupted myself buying it, I've looked after it with thoroughly OTT care. And've checked the smart screen before folding it over, etc, etc. I've also been extra-careful to always leave the smart cover on, as we've got a cat and I wanted to leave no room for doubt / accidental cat damage.)

The scratch was deep - deep enough to distort / refract the light from the (handful of) pixels beneath it. I also discovered another, parallel scratch a short while later (though that one was only visible on a black screen, viewed from an angle...)

Having said all this... I took it into the Apple store I bought it from today. I wasn't expecting much; but - optimistically - was hoping for a screen replacement. In no time at all, a manager came over, checked their stock, and booked an appointment; and they replaced it with a brand spanking new iPad this afternoon.

The staff were all pretty surprised by the scratch, and curious about it. I kinda wish I had some answers - but, well, no rings on my fingers, nothing whatsoever in the way of a sharp contact (whilst I've been around, and my partner just doesn't use it). All very odd.

OTOH, losing progress on a number of games was a bit of a pain in the fundamentals. OTOH, it's given me a (forced) chance to back up every single document / paper I had on there. Which - as it's been mostly an academic / work device - I really, really needed to do.

And, good grief, what fantastic customer service.
    Last edited: May 21, 2011
  17. droid2mac

droid2mac iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't take chances with screens. For my iPad 2 I got the Moshi iVisor screen protector and I love it. Goes on easy, NO bubbles and I have not noticed any loss of clarity or sensitivity. $30, not bad for piece of mind.
  18. otacon

otacon iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  19. Hotherps

Hotherps iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wonder if Jeweler's rouge powder might work? Whatever people try could be a costly mistake :(
  20. Hotherps

Hotherps iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have somehow managed to put a small scratch on the screen of my iPad 2... I can only really see it on a black screen. I called into the Apple reseller yesterday where I bought it and showed them the scratch.... basically just one of those things.... not covered by warrantee. They told me that they have had a could of customers who have dropped / smashed screens and and all they can do is accept their loss and buy a new one.

I did ask about replacement screens but they said they can't be replaced so it is cheaper to buy a new iPad. I know the iPad 1 screens were replaceable.

I have an Otterbox defender case on the way to me direct from the company with a free screen protector, so once that is on I know there shouldn't be any further scratches. :)