What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SciFi Discussion Lobby

OP
AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Gabriel1 said:
I used to have it on VHS, I think I'll have to invest in one of the special edition Blu rays.

The Archangel

I have the DVD Anniversary Edition that includes optional alternate ending, the theatrical release with Harrison Ford / Deckard narration and the so called Director's cut without narration.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
I have the DVD Anniversary Edition that includes optional alternate ending, the theatrical release with Harrison Ford / Deckard narration and the so called Director's cut without narration.

AA

I might have to look into that.

The Archangel

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears... in rain. Time to die."

;)

AA

I understand that whole 'speech' was Rutger's creation. One of the most chilling movie moments out there.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Neil Armstrong documentary was a really wonderful programme.....much better than anything else I have ever seen about him and really well put together, if you have access to iPlayer you should really have a look.

The Archangel

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I adored Neil Armstrong. But I'm actually asking myself why he is discussed in the SciFi discussion lobby, for Mr. Armstrong is definitely not fiction. ;-)

I know "Moon" with wonderful actor Sam Rockwell and love it. :-D

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I adored Neil Armstrong. But I'm actually asking myself why he is discussed in the SciFi discussion lobby, for Mr. Armstrong is definitely not fiction. ;-)

Reminds me of a quote I once read from Isaac Asimov. One of his friend complained that his public library had Asimov's book "Introduction to the Slide Rule" in the science fiction section. Isaac replied that it was OK, because that's where most of his readers would be likely to find it.

OP
AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
J. A. said:

I liked Moon too.

You're right about Armstrong but sometimes I think the fantastical things that were done back then seem like science fiction when compared to the simple exercises we're performing today in space.

Human exploration of space has regressed.

AA

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Except, what we are doing now with robots, astronomy, and satellites was science fiction when we were putting men on the moon.

In some ways it was far easier to put men on the moon, at least technology wise.

Not that I wouldn't like to see manned missions again; because man in space is the adventure, the dream worthy of the dreaming.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps if we had followed the more logical path of using boosters from low earth orbit from the outset, that would not be true. Apollo was great, and it was a fascinating time to be alive, but it sent us down the wrong path. Unfortunately, the Cold War didn't allow for the kind of cooperation that could have resulted in manned trips to Mars and beyond.

Hopefully, one day, we will get back to the Moon, and will be able to do a bit more than was possible in the Apollo era.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The most amazing thing was it was done in the name of advancing our knowledge and abilities, not for profit. That's why we don't do those things anymore - no money in it :(

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Perhaps if we had followed the more logical path of using boosters from low earth orbit from the outset, that would not be true. Apollo was great, and it was a fascinating time to be alive, but it sent us down the wrong path. Unfortunately, the Cold War didn't allow for the kind of cooperation that could have resulted in manned trips to Mars and beyond.

Hopefully, one day, we will get back to the Moon, and will be able to do a bit more than was possible in the Apollo era.

Unfortunately the most recent serious attempt to return to the Moon was cancelled by the US several years ago.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just watched the new Total Recall movie, I wasn't totally looking forward to it because I really liked the original but this new version was really amazing......so for me it was really worth watching.

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. Maybe I'll break down and rent it. :)

I wasn't all that thrilled with the first one. Not because it was not good, but it's always felt incomplete, because even at at he end, you don't really know what was really happening.

Yes, I know that's on purpose. ;)

Most reactions