What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SciFi Discussion Lobby

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember a couple of scifi TV shows when I was a kid. Timeslip and Changes. Anyone else remember them? They would have been screened around 1970.

OP
AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
KevinJS said:
I remember a couple of scifi TV shows when I was a kid. Timeslip and Changes. Anyone else remember them? They would have been screened around 1970.

This is the first I've heard of either program. However, both aired on BBC. You'd think with platforms like BBC iPlayer, this kind of content could be dusted off and placed in a "classics" or "vintage" lobby, accessible by the player.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There was the Irwin Allen TV series The Time Tunnel, which debuted on September 9,1966 and ran till April 7,1967. Each week the main characters would end up in a different period in history, conveniently represented by 20th Century Fox stock footage and new footage shot to blend in.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did do some digging a few years ago, but didn't find much. There were some photographs on the net of the original shows, but the shows didn't seem to be available anywhere.

And I seem to remember reading that the BBC had a policy of destroying film which was considered to be of no further use. In the pre-digital days, you can imagine how much warehouse storage would have been necessary to store old film.

OP
AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
There was the Irwin Allen TV series The Time Tunnel, which debuted on September 9,1966 and ran till April 7,1967. Each week the main characters would end up in a different period in history, conveniently represented by 20th Century Fox stock footage and new footage shot to blend in.

It appears good taste is not only universal, it is "timeless" to. :)
AA

image-3244706252.jpg

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
scifan57 said:

I'm shocked. Was it really so long ago? I remember the series. Each one finished with a cliffhanger, when the time travelers would enter the tunnel and fall straight into trouble, and we would have to wait until the following week to find out how they wriggled out.

I distinctly remember the episode when they wound up on the Titanic.

OP
AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I did do some digging a few years ago, but didn't find much. There were some photographs on the net of the original shows, but the shows didn't seem to be available anywhere.

And I seem to remember reading that the BBC had a policy of destroying film which was considered to be of no further use. In the pre-digital days, you can imagine how much warehouse storage would have been necessary to store old film.

True. And even a lot of saved footage is found to be unusable later because it was stored poorly.

AA

OP
AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I'm shocked. Was it really so long ago? I remember the series. Each one finished with a cliffhanger, when the time travelers would enter the tunnel and fall straight into trouble, and we would have to wait until the following week to find out how they wriggled out.

I distinctly remember the episode when they wound up on the Titanic.

You memory serves you well.
"Rendezvous With Yesterday" was the first episode of Season 1 of the series to air, September 9, 1966.
AA
image-2242335207.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Serial time travel was also the theme of the series Quantum Leap,where each week Dr. Sam Beckett would end up as another person in a different time and place. The series ran from march 26, 1989 - may 5, 1993.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like we didn't get the show (The Time Tunnel) in the UK until July, 1968, when I would have been 7 years old. Which still shows a pretty impressive memory.

What I do find fascinating is that some of the featured events of the show; the sinking of the Titanic, the death of Marie Antoinette by guillotine, were familiar to me. Clearly, education was much more intense in those days than it is now.

Apparently, in the UK, we only had 13 episodes before the series was dropped.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a kid, I watched what I think was the original Battlestar Galatica series, which included Richard Hatch and Laurette Spang. A family friend even got me autographed photos of them.

I also saw Star Wars and Star Trek, like everyone else. My favorite ST movie was the Wrath of Khan. Of the many ST series, I favored The Next Generation. I love Jean Luc Picard and Q. The best episodes were the Borg two-parter, which would've been even better on a movie screen instead of a TV. I also saw some ST episodes from two later series, with Sisko and Janeway in charge. I found the Sisko ones interesting, but not addicting. I found Janeway irritating -- overmelodramatic acting, and her voice sounded quavery and annoying.

I liked the original Twilight Zone series, too, but maybe that wasn't quite scifi?

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I liked the original Twilight Zone series, too, but maybe that wasn't quite scifi?

Probably not, Kay. But I doubt you'd get much dissent from SF fans. Thanks for reminding us of a great series.

OP
AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
As a kid, I watched what I think was the original Battlestar Galatica series, which included Richard Hatch and Laurette Spang. A family friend even got me autographed photos of them.

I also saw Star Wars and Star Trek, like everyone else. My favorite ST movie was the Wrath of Khan. Of the many ST series, I favored The Next Generation. I love Jean Luc Picard and Q. The best episodes were the Borg two-parter, which would've been even better on a movie screen instead of a TV. I also saw some ST episodes from two later series, with Cisco and Janeway in charge. I found the Cisco ones interesting, but not addicting. I found Janeway irritating -- overmelodramatic acting, and her voice sounded quavery and annoying.

Oh contraire. Twilight Zone was very high end SciFi. I didn't get most of it until later viewings as an adult. My favourite episode is "Time Enough At Last" starring Burgess Meredith as Henry Bemis, the bookworm.

AA
image-947399973.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ugh_at_Last.jpg/250px-Time_Enough_at_Last.jpg

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably not, Kay. But I doubt you'd get much dissent from SF fans. Thanks for reminding us of a great series.

I remember learning English and American ways, and I guess some social history, by watching Twilight Zone. So in a way it was educational for me, lol. I don't remember much about the episodes, but I remember the feeling of being creeped out. I kind of want to watch them again, but worry that some of the magic might be lost on me now.

Most reactions

Latest posts