What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Science Lectures

rosenon99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a question for all you I-Pad users. I am a science teacher. I notice a number of my students are using I-Pads. I record my classes for students to listen to using Camtasia. If I were to create a DVD set containing my science lectures specifically for I-Pad, would that be easier for you to use than one created in standard MP4? Would you be able to use the I-Pad video on your PC/Mac using QuickTime? Would it better as a downloadable program or a DVD done with I -Pad uploads? I would ask my students, but they are on Winter Break right now, and I would like to work on this for them while I have some free time.

Last edited:

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you supply MP4 Video, you are fine.

here are the Video specifications for iPAD:

Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

OP
R

rosenon99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. That helps a bunch. I want my students using I-Pad to get the most out of their technology. I'm sure they will appreciate your input. Thanks again.

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess it might be competition for you but have you looked into the Kahn Academy videos available on iTunes? They might be very useful for your students. You'll find them in the iTunes U section of the store. They're all free.

I'm sure you're aware of Kahn Academy but for those who want to know more: Khan Academy

OP
R

rosenon99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Again, thanks for your help. I do appreciate the input. Good resources are always appreciated. My classes are a bit different in that they are full, 90-minute sessions, including multiple web pages which show the students the best information available. Using the internet, I can connect directly to Hubble for example and we can discuss what is being viewed. Mine are not topic vignettes, but are full blown classes based around a specific curriculum. I am trying to help my registered students by giving them access to the media in a format that can most easily use. I asked the question in an effort to get help and advise from folks that use the medium. I do appreciate yet another resource to use, (and I will be sure to pass on KhanAcademy to my students) but I really just wanted to know if my MP4-HD format would work on iPad or if I should investigate another. I already found out that DVDs probably aren't the best. That downloads or flash drives would probably be better for my students with iPads.

Last edited:
OP
R

rosenon99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. I guess I will just wait until my students return and ask the smart kids :)

Most reactions

Latest posts