What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

School Board’s Plan to Give iPad 2s to Kindergarten Children Causes Conflict

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_2_3.JPG

TUAW has a report today about a kindergarten school in Auburn Maine in the US that is about to launch a $200,000 pilot scheme that will see the area’s 300 kindergarten-age children getting an iPad 2 each. According to TUAW, the decision has sparked some controversy in the area, with school officials welcoming the pilot scheme as “a revolution in education,†while some parents are much less enthusiastic and are in fact expressing their disapproval of the scheme. A group called Auburn Citizens for Responsible Education has concerns about how it might affect children to give them an iPad 2 at such an early age, and they also have concerns about the cost of the program to the taxpayer. The Auburn Superintendent, Tom Morrill, is trying to get grants for the scheme, but if that isn’t possible he intends to use the school budget to fund it. A School Committee meeting about the iPad 2 scheme is due to be held next Wednesday April 27, when the parents’ group intends to present their reasons for opposing the introduction of the iPad 2s.

Source: Kindergarten iPad 2 program causes rift between parents and school officials in Maine

MrLee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Too Young

Kids that age aren't responsible enough for equipment that expensive. 2nd or 3rd grade would probably be better.

Rever3nce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is crazy. I can see if myabe the teacher would have one but letting Little kids have it is a big no no . I remember just checking out a book from a library they were always messed up and damaged . Imagen an ipad?!!! I have to disagree with this one

readzalot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I take my own ipad to school most days for my special needs class of kids who operate at a preschool to grade one level. They love it, learn from it, and only two of them are not responsible enough to use it on their own. I think this is a great idea.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great Idea.
And yes they can look after their iPads.
Check out Fraser Speirs blog where his entire school has been equipped with iPads.

Most reactions