What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

scanning photos to ipad directly

barry74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I have recently purchased an ipad 3 and i wondered if there is a way to scan my photo album coolection through an all in one printer and transfer them directly to my ipad without the need to use a desktop pc. I am new to apple ipad and dont have much knowledge.

thanks

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does your printer have an auto-feed? If not, perhaps just using your iPad's camera would work for you.

OP
B

barry74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, i havent bought a printer yet. i am looking to purchase an all in one printer scanner that is airprint compatible and i was wondering if i was able to scan photos on the scanner and store them on the ipad by transferring the scanned image from the printer scanner to the ipad over the airprint connection.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Barry - welcome to the forum! :)

I'm not sure 'how many' photos you have to scan but might impact on the options being offered? Check HERE for more information on Air Print and a list of compatible printers since you seem to be in the market for one?

Your scanned images will be saved to your computer - not sure if an Air Print compatible printer can directly send these to your iPad, so hopefully others can address this issue; BUT, once on your computer, you could email images to yourself (assuming that you do not have TOO many?) and then use iPad to check your mail and download the images to the device. The other option is to send the images into the Cloud (e.g. Dropbox, Apple's Cloud, or another 'in the sky' service) sync and/or retrieve them from that location.

Of course if you want to use iTunes, you could store all of the scanned images in a single folder, just check that folder, and then sync. So, plenty of choices - good luck and let us know what works out best for you - may help others?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You won't be able to scan just because a printer has AirPrint. You'll need an app from the App Store that supports scanning from you printer. The first place to look is for an app specifically for your brand of printer. There are also several third party apps that support a large number of brands and printers.

The main thing is to identify both a printer and an app to support it, both, preferably, with solid reviews. Do this before buying a printer if possible.

That said, I'd be very surprised if any All-In-One AirPrint printer model wasn't supported by at least one app.

iOS: AirPrint 101

Forhad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is almost a laptop computer. You can use PrintCentral app. It will let you Print direct to most WiFi/Wireless printers without additional software.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a multifunction Epson printer. Using the Epson iPrint app, I can not only print to it over wifi, but also scan images directly to my iPad - no PC required.

I would narrow down which company's apps have scanning capability, then by a multifunction that is listed as compatible.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a multifunction Epson printer. Using the Epson iPrint app, I can not only print to it over wifi, but also scan images directly to my iPad - no PC required.

I would narrow down which company's apps have scanning capability, then by a multifunction that is listed as compatible.

What model Epson is it?

oldsubman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an HP 7510 AirPrint printer with an SD card slot. I scan photos directly to the card and then import to the iPad using the SD card adapter from Apple.

doug rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can set the scanner to save the scanned image directly to Dropbox or your iCloud storage, you could import the photos from the cloud to your iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts