What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

scanned PDF book does not show illustrations

iPete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am reading scanned PDF file books from google books. The illustrations are not visible, or only parts are visible. I have tried over 20 PDF readers from the app store, including good reader and readdledocs. What can I do? Also, I would like to copy and save paragraphs and illustrations. PDFassistant copies the scanned text but does not show the pictures. What to do?

Kokujin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPete said:
I am reading scanned PDF file books from google books. The illustrations are not visible, or only parts are visible. I have tried over 20 PDF readers from the app store, including good reader and readdledocs. What can I do? Also, I would like to copy and save paragraphs and illustrations. PDFassistant copies the scanned text but does not show the pictures. What to do?

I have this problem too, I have some scanned PDFs that I desperately want to read on the ipad but have not found any apps to do this.

Can someone from Apple help?

Kokujin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kokujin said:
I have this problem too, I have some scanned PDFs that I desperately want to read on the ipad but have not found any apps to do this.

Can someone from Apple help?

UPDATE

I was playing around with the file and somehow I did something to cause good reader to split the file into a folder of individual PDFs, problem is they are all blank. On the computer, can view no problem but on the iPad, good reader cannot display the scanned images.

Can someone help? Can I do something to get good reader to read the scanned PDFs?

Ganjamanspy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kokujin said:
UPDATE

I was playing around with the file and somehow I did something to cause good reader to split the file into a folder of individual PDFs, problem is they are all blank. On the computer, can view no problem but on the iPad, good reader cannot display the scanned images.

Can someone help? Can I do something to get good reader to read the scanned PDFs?

Shrink/compressed the pdf file like when u compress d mp3 to minimize d size. Itl work

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a PDF file size limit set in GoodReader or something? Seems odd that you could view some pages of a PDF and not others.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kokujin said:
UPDATE

i read somewhere on this, it's something like the scanned pdf were in jpeg2000 so find a coverter that will convert your jpeg2000 to a simple pdf then convert it to pdf. have'nt tried it yet. but i think it's possible.

Kokujin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
j0yful said:
i read somewhere on this, it's something like the scanned pdf were in jpeg2000 so find a coverter that will convert your jpeg2000 to a simple pdf then convert it to pdf. have'nt tried it yet. but i think it's possible.

I've sent the file to Goodreader support, will let u all know what they come up with, I know the images were made v. High res. Any other suggestions welcomed.

freja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't read scanned pdf's

Hi,

I have the same issues: stanza, ibooks, fileapp pro doesn't read scanned pdfs. Is there any other app that can do it?

did you manage to get an answer to this?

thank you,

owsc2010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have this problem too. I figured out 2 ways to overcome it:

1. Install pdf printer, print the file as another copy. All my pdf files work this way, but the texts become unsearchable.

2. I use Foxit Phantom on my PC. In Foxit Phantom -> tools -> pdf optimizer, change Image compression from Jpeg2000 to Jpeg. Need to uncheck 'Optimize images only if there is a reduction in size'. But this way only the grayscale images show in iPAD, color images still invisible.

Still looking for ways for color images.

p.s. Adobe Acrobat comes with pdf optimizer too, but I don't have it. Anyone have Acrobat could you please test it out?

Last edited:

owsc2010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just did a search, and there is an answer from GoodReader's Troubleshooting page:

I see blank pages in my PDF file, but it shows fine on my Mac/PC There are two main reasons for this:

• JPEG2000 image compression. This compression used in some PDF files can't be understood by current versions of iOS (and GoodReader heavily relies on its capabilities). However, there's a very easy workaround for that.
    • If you have a Mac computer, open this PDF file in Mac's standard Preview application, go to File menu and select Save As command. Then resave this file as a new PDF (just make sure to change a file name, to preserve the original file unchanged). The new PDF file will be formatted in iOS-friendly way.
    • If you have a PC computer, the solution would be to reassemble a file in Adobe Acrobat software (or other) replacing JPEG2000 image compression with more conventional JPEG. Print your file to a special Adobe PDF printer (installed by Acrobat). Make sure that inside this printer's settings, on Images tab two first Compression fields don't show JPEG2000. If they do, change them to JPEG.
  • 256-bit AES encryption. This encryption is supported by iOS 4.2 or later. Please update your iOS.

Bandaid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is related, but I had a problem where the text was fine, but the iPad only didn't show illustrations in the PDF file. I opened the PDF on the PC in Acrobat X and saved it a "Reduced size PDF" using Acrobat 5 compatibility. I think the illustrations were included in the PDF file as "attachments" and perhaps Acrobat 5 format doesn't support that, so the images were incorporated into the file differently on Save. This is just a guess. (I also tried saving with Acrobat 6 compatibility, but that didn't fix the problem.)

My primary use for the iPad is viewing mostly technical PDF documents and this is proving a bit unreliable because some of the documents are protected from changes so this fix will not be possible on those.

Reynevan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just did a search, and there is an answer from GoodReader's Troubleshooting page:

I see blank pages in my PDF file, but it shows fine on my Mac/PC There are two main reasons for this:

• JPEG2000 image compression. This compression used in some PDF files can't be understood by current versions of iOS (and GoodReader heavily relies on its capabilities). However, there's a very easy workaround for that.
    • If you have a Mac computer, open this PDF file in Mac's standard Preview application, go to File menu and select Save As command. Then resave this file as a new PDF (just make sure to change a file name, to preserve the original file unchanged). The new PDF file will be formatted in iOS-friendly way.
    • If you have a PC computer, the solution would be to reassemble a file in Adobe Acrobat software (or other) replacing JPEG2000 image compression with more conventional JPEG. Print your file to a special Adobe PDF printer (installed by Acrobat). Make sure that inside this printer's settings, on Images tab two first Compression fields don't show JPEG2000. If they do, change them to JPEG.
  • 256-bit AES encryption. This encryption is supported by iOS 4.2 or later. Please update your iOS.
thx that solved the problem for me

Most reactions

Latest posts