What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scam Alert!!!!

archions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I had mentioned in another post, I placed an order with apple for an ipad 2 64gb 3g ATT version and the delivery time was for 3 - 4 weeks. As human nature will have it I wanted now, so I pre-order it at Best Buy. With my luck (they call me Mr. Lucky) both ipads came in last Thursday. Taking the advise on this forum I placed one on Craiglist for sale. I got an immediate bid for $1100. Great I will make some money.
Buyer sent me an e-mail that she paid with PayPal and received a letter from PayPal stating that they where holding monies for the purchase, but it will not appear on my account until I shipped the item and I could provide tracking # registered USPS proof. I almost took the bait. I contacted Paypal and they told me they never hold any funds and the transaction was phoney. Two days have gone by and the buyer insists that is legit.
By the way I had to ship to Nigeria.
Do a google search on Nigeria Scams and see for yourself. Be Carefull there is a fool born everyday. no offence.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
archions said:
As I had mentioned in another post, I placed an order with apple for an ipad 2 64gb 3g ATT version and the delivery time was for 3 - 4 weeks. As human nature will have it I wanted now, so I pre-order it at Best Buy. With my luck (they call me Mr. Lucky) both ipads came in last Thursday. Taking the advise on this forum I placed one on Craiglist for sale. I got an immediate bid for $1100. Great I will make some money.
Buyer sent me an e-mail that she paid with PayPal and received a letter from PayPal stating that they where holding monies for the purchase, but it will not appear on my account until I shipped the item and I could provide tracking # registered USPS proof. I almost took the bait. I contacted Paypal and they told me they never hold any funds and the transaction was phoney. Two days have gone by and the buyer insists that is legit.
By the way I had to ship to Nigeria.
Do a google search on Nigeria Scams and see for yourself. Be Carefull there is a fool born everyday. no offence.

Typical scam that happens in Nigeria

If I were you, i would have wasted as much as their time as possible!

When I was selling an iPhone on Gumtree I got loads of Nigerian scams. One wanted the iPhone so badly...I made them send pics of themselves with a sign above their head saying ' i am a GIANT ****'!

But yeah, if this happens again, just scam bait them and waste as much as their time as possible.

If you want a laugh, type 419 eater into google and check out 'letter archives'. Hilarious stuff :)

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ha, ha, the Minister of Defense just contacted me from Nigeria. It seems I have 25 million US dollars over there that is mine, they just need my bank information, my SSN, and my mothers maiden name.....LMAO

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My cousin’s idiot GF fell for that crap on Ebay. She shipped her laptop and never seen the money. LOL It is hard to believe there are so many people with so little common sense.

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ha, ha, the Minister of Defense just contacted me from Nigeria. It seems I have 25 million US dollars over there that is mine, they just need my bank information, my SSN, and my mothers maiden name.....LMAO

I always get a Barrister, or the son/daughter of some King or Queen.. I feel so noble whenever they contact me..

I always tell them I'll give them whatever they're trying to buy, for free, if they get me a ticket to Nigeria.. Some have bit, and made a bunch of bs promises.. Others say they are unable to do that, but will do so in the future.. lol

It's all a game to me.

Silent Assassin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My cousin’s idiot GF fell for that crap on Ebay. She shipped her laptop and never seen the money. LOL It is hard to believe there are so many people with so little common sense.

Is she selling more laptops? I live in Georgia, not Nigeria, so she could save on shipping costs?? LOL

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL he is not going out with her any more. But he did support her the whole time.
I warned them but they didn't listen.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nigerian scammers are big in the online dating sites as well ~ there was this one gal that forked over 12K.

On one of my dating sites, we toyed with a scammer for days. It was sweet and hella fun!

Finally he got down to asking for money. No surprise. I can spot them very easy. Three days talking on line. He wanted or needed $500. "so we can be together"

Even went as far as giving my friends and me his info, and where to send the money order from Walmart. You could feel that he was just waiting for me to get back with the confirmation number and the money order.

In the dating world, these fools are always, "widowed" and their children are "motherless"

I am glad you didn't get played!

Most reactions