What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving music on I cloud

Jolinmax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have quite a lot of photos and music on my i pad. If I save them on I cloud will that save space on I pad ad will I then have to go into I cloud if I want to play music

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can store your photos in the iCloud Photo Library but you only get 5GB of free storage. Extra storage has to be purchased on a subscription basis. Your music can be streamed from the cloud but unless you're on WiFi, you'll be using cellular data.

OP
Jolinmax

Jolinmax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for that information. What do you mean by streamed ? Does that mean I would Have to go into I cloud and play it like I would do if I was watching a TV programme. Sorry to be so dumb.
Does that mean it would remove all my music from my I pad so that I would have more space. My total space on my I Pad is 27.8 GB and I have 4.7 GB left.
I also have a lot of photographs on my I Pad. Would I do the same with them?. I currently pay .79 pence a month and that gives me 20 GB in I cloud. Maybe it is not too important as 4.7 GB is quite a lot. What do you think?
I don't have 4g.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Streaming your music means playing it from the cloud, just like watching a show on BBC iPlayer, for example. In the case of iTunes music, movies, or TV shows, they can be streamed from the cloud without them taking up your iCloud storage space. You could use iCloud photo sharing for your photos but if they're important you'll want to have them in more than one place. You could also store them on the hard drive of your computer or an external hard drive.

If you go to Settings>iTunes & App StoreShow All and turn on the switches for music and videos, everything you ever bought from iTunes will show in the music and video apps and can be played from the cloud if you have a good Internet connection.
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Jolinmax

Jolinmax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for that information. My I pad is getting a bit slow to respond so I was thinking maybe I have too many pics and videos installed..I have a few videos in I movie. Maybe they take up a lot of space?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can tell how much storage anything in iMovie is taking up by going to Settings>General>Usage>Manage Storage and scroll down the list of apps until you get to iMovie. It will tell you how much storage is being used by the app.

OP
Jolinmax

Jolinmax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much. Something so simple if you know where to look.i will take note of that for future reference and try and store it in my ageing memory!!!

Most reactions