What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving Movies on iPad

anacrites

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have downloaded Movie Player and can watch movies fine but I need to know how to save new movies on Movie Player.
(short movies received in email messages can be viewed in Movie Player)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you talking about commercial movies downloaded from iTunes? They can be viewed in the iPad's native Video app. For non-standard format movies, many Members recommend OPlayer.

Tim

OP
A

anacrites

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not talking about commercial movies or movies downloaded from iTunes. I just want to save various short movies received in email messages.
When I look at attachment it asks which program I want to open movie in so I say "Movie Player" but then it only shows the movie but does not save it.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What makes you think that the movie has not been saved by Movie Player? Doesn't it appear in the list of files in Movie Player's file space? What happens, after playing the movie, if you open Movie Player again. Can't you see the file there? It should be saved.

Tim

OP
A

anacrites

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK Tim, first when receiving a movie file in an email message I am asked what program I wish to use to open file, I then choose Movie Player and the movie plays on Movie Player but does not add itself to Movie Player files. Basically I am able to play movies in Movie Player but need to know how to save them in Movie Player.

Peter

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Traditionally, most apps behave by storing the file in their own space. This can be accessed later. Which is why most people have to remember to go through various apps (especially stuff like video apps) to delete the information that's saved.

That's what Tim is referring to.

I downloaded MoviePlayer a while ago and so I just re-installed it. Huh. No, it doesn't save e-mailed videos. In fact, I couldn't even make the video re-open (from e-mail ... after it opened once)!

So, I'm going say that I don't know how MoviePlayer works - and recommend you get an app like OPlayer HD ($4.99, USD). There is a Lite version (read: free) that you can try out. Other than being an excellent player for those random e-mailed videos, OPlayerHD does keep a copy in its files so you can go back later and view them again.

I know this doesn't help in using MoviePlayer - but that's all I've got. Good luck.

Marilyn

P.S. Not a slam against MoviePlayer, BTW. It just doesn't work the way I want ... and I don't know how to make it work like you want.

OP
A

anacrites

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Saving short movies on iPad

The last short comment looked good "just import it to your iTunes library" but do not know how to do this.
(I now have the movie files I want to save to my iPad located on the desktop of my computer)

jackman777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to download the movies to your computer, then go to your iTunes and add them to your iTunes library. You will probably have to convert the movies to the format compatible with iTunes using some 3rd party software. Then connect your iPad to the computer and synchronize your videos.

OP
A

anacrites

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I now have various apps on my iPad for playing movie files or short videos they are:
OPlayerHD Lite
Movie Player
VLCStreamer
LIBOX
Dropbox
Videos (iPad Program)

I am still unable to save the short videos in movie player and OPlayer just asks me to connect to a computer even when my iPad is connected to my iMac.
It would be great to have a app on my ipad that would have all movie files in one place, sadly I have not found that app as yet so some of my movie files are still on my iMac desktop others are in Movie Player and then the rest are either still attached to email messages or in the camera roll on my iPad.

jackman777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what's wrong with iTunes? once you add all your videos to iTunes library, just synchronize your iPad and all your videos will be in Video folder. The only hassle I see is that you will have to convert your videos to the format supported by iTunes. There are a lot free converters on the WEB. I use Handbreak for Mac.

Parrori1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I download my videos to Azul. Free and works great.

dssxxxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can use DVDFab 8 or Pavtube for converting, ripping, etc. to iPad format. There are also many, many more you can try.

jontez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was looking for an app to play files that are not supported by iPad.
I found a decent app called flexplayer that you can add videos through iTunes that I would recommend.

nypaulie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use MoviePlayer HD and to get my movies onto the ipad I select "Transfer" from the left column, enter the URL (shown) into my PC's browser and click "Upload". I navigate to the directory on my PC where I have the files I want to upload (you can multiple-select files) and whoosh - they are copied over. Sweet! So far I have found that mp4 and flv (!) formats work fine. I suspect that mov and avi files will too, but have not tried that yet.

Most reactions

Latest posts