What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SAVING IMAGES NOT WORKING

ottiliegirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Several years ago you advised me on how to get images to iCloud on my iPad. Now I need help on getting images out of gmails and into PHOTOS. I used the tap and save method and was successful in moving almost 100 pictures but the last 60 will not budge. It seems there are two messages about moving the images. If the three line (save image, save images or cancel) message comes you can chose one or more images and they will move. For the other message which consists of about 9 options, one of which is SAVE IMAGE & another is SAVE ATTACHMENT - neither of these work. So I am left with an outdated version 9.3.5 iPad that I need to replace but would very much like to retrieve these pictures first. Any help anyone can provide would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

OP
O

ottiliegirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The photos were sent to a gmail address but the senders could have sent the mail from any mail service that they use. The photos that I was able to move from gmail are in a folder called PHOTOS but there is a Google Photo icon on the iPad if that makes a difference. Thanks for your interest in helping.
ottiliegirl

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you’re using the Gmail app, tap a photo and use this icon to get the image to the built in Photos app:
048331C4-2E20-406D-99E1-957754874A0F.jpeg

You’ll have to save them one by one, though.
In the built in Mail app, open the image, then select the Share button:
D0DB33ED-F44F-4536-94CA-3B37AAA7193A.jpeg

And tap “Save Image”.
5719DC2D-C53B-43B9-8DD5-8A4DA7988390.jpeg

This might look different on your iPad, mine is up to date (iOS 12.4.1).

In the Google Photos app, tap the three dots at the top right, choose “Select Photos”:
CD616D9A-23F3-4B9F-B08B-B290808B3286.jpeg

Then tap the photos that you’d like to save to your device, and go to the Share button to save the image:
7B6EFDF3-B9BB-4B20-BE6A-88999922A5D7.jpeg

In case that still doesn’t work properly:
If the images are in Google Photos, they don’t have to be saved to the iPad. As soon as you download the app on your new device and log in, you’ll find the photos there again. Google Photos syncs images between devices connected with the same email address.

Is there a special reason why you want to store the images in the built in Photos app before getting a new device?

OP
O

ottiliegirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you’re using the Gmail app, tap a photo and use this icon to get the image to the built in Photos app:
View attachment 87527
You’ll have to save them one by one, though.
In the built in Mail app, open the image, then select the Share button:
View attachment 87528
And tap “Save Image”.
View attachment 87529
This might look different on your iPad, mine is up to date (iOS 12.4.1).

In the Google Photos app, tap the three dots at the top right, choose “Select Photos”:
View attachment 87530
Then tap the photos that you’d like to save to your device, and go to the Share button to save the image:
View attachment 87531

In case that still doesn’t work properly:
If the images are in Google Photos, they don’t have to be saved to the iPad. As soon as you download the app on your new device and log in, you’ll find the photos there again. Google Photos syncs images between devices connected with the same email address.

Is there a special reason why you want to store the images in the built in Photos app before getting a new device?

Thank you so very much for your help with my issue. I had just finished writing you a lengthy answer about your suggestions and explain why none of them worked. Then I realized that you had opened up some information for me. The view 87529 shows exactly what I get to chose but it doesn't work. Nothing gets saved. Then I remembered you said mine might look a little different because you had the latest version. I looked up top where those icons live and I discovered an icon on my iPad that looked like a flying arrow and I chose it and it came up twith the option to chose save image and it worked. Now all my pictures are saved. So again, thank you very much for your help. I greatly appreciate all the options you suggested.

Ottiliegirl

OP
O

ottiliegirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so very much for your help with my issue. I had just finished writing you a lengthy answer about your suggestions and explain why none of them worked. Then I realized that you had opened up some information for me. The view 87529 shows exactly what I get to chose but it doesn't work. Nothing gets saved. Then I remembered you said mine might look a little different because you had the latest version. I looked up top where those icons live and I discovered an icon on my iPad that looked like a flying arrow and I chose it and it came up twith the option to chose save image and it worked. Now all my pictures are saved. So again, thank you very much for your help. I greatly appreciate all the options you suggested. I don't remember how to mark it solved.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I‘m glad I could be of help.

We don‘t have a feature to mark an issue solved. You don‘t have to do anything else.

Most reactions