What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving files using Pages app

bookdoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using my iPad2 with a USB keyboard and Pages app, which is far more useful than I had imagined it would be. I've been sending a copy of my writing to my E-mail and this works fine. Two questions: (1) One option is to save the file to iTunes and I tried this also but now I can't find the file. Where is it? (2) Are all files automatically saved when the Pages app is closed? It seems this way but I'm used to the "save as" command on word processing programs. Thanks to all.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
1) You have to connect your iPad to the computer, select it under Devices in iTunes on the computer, go to the Apps Tab and scroll down to the File Sharing section. iOS: About File Sharing

It's mostly a legacy method. There are better ways to save/copy your files to the computer.

2) All files are automatically saved, even if you don't close the document.

If you have an iCloud account, have enabled Documents and Data in iCloud settings, and enabled iCloud in Settings > Pages, all files will automatically be synced/saved to your iCloud storage. There are several nice benefits, and one drawback.

Benefits:

Sync with Pages and other iWorks apps on OS X (Macs) if you have one.
Syncs across all your iOS devices, if you enable it on them all.
Documents available for download/import/export at the icloud.com site via a computer browser.
Probably something else I'm not thinking of.

Drawback.

For whatever reason the iWorks apps (including Pages) all go looking for iCloud before displaying your documents. If the connection is slow or not there it can take a few seconds before the app decides to let you see and open a document. A minor annoyance, but I wish Apple would fix this.

Probably something else I'm not thinking of. ;)

It is also possible to import/export your Pages documents to several cloud services; including DropBox and Box.com. It's not syncing, since documents must be manually transferred and will not normally overwrite the older versions.

OP
B

bookdoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick, informative response. I'm glad to learn that all files are automatically saved. It's simplest for me to E-mail the file to myself and then open it in the pc. I haven't tried the iCloud yet. I was surprised when I learned that I was able to burn from iTunes a dozen of the songs I bought and listen to them in the car.

Most reactions

Latest posts