What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

saving email attachments.

Seed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi there, i was wondering if you might know/ help me with a question regarding the ipad device, id like to know how i can save email attachments using the mail app on the ipad/ iphone. files such as mp3's & mov get sent to me and i don't know how i can save them on the device. is there an app out there that will allow me to do this?? any tips would be greatly appreciated thanks/ Seed.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need a compatible app - i.e. one that will allow the file to be opened. Then, when you're in the iPad's native Mail app, touch on the attachment and hold the screen and a pop-up box or a menu item will appear offering you 'Open In' and a list of compatible apps that have registered with the iPad's operating system, iOS, their ability to process that file type. The iPad will then switch to the app you have chosen and the file will be opened in that app and saved in its file space.

Tim

OP
S

Seed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
You need a compatible app - i.e. one that will allow the file to be opened. Then, when you're in the iPad's native Mail app, touch on the attachment and hold the screen and a pop-up box or a menu item will appear offering you 'Open In' and a list of compatible apps that have registered with the iPad's operating system, iOS, their ability to process that file type. The iPad will then switch to the app you have chosen and the file will be opened in that app and saved in its file space.

Tim

Thanks Tim,

can you recommend an app that will do this particular task ??

Seed.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim

Thanks Tim,

can you recommend an app that will do this particular task ??

Seed.

It depends what the attachment is - you need an app that's compatible with the attachment, there's no universal app. So, for a Word document, you'd need an app that's capable of processing Word documents - say, Apple's Pages. If it was an Excel document, then you'd need an app that's compatible with Excel format documents - say Apple's Numbers. If it was a photograph, then the iPad's native Photo app would open it.

Each app has its own 'private' file space; the iPad does not have a global file system like a PC. So, to be able to save an attachment, you need an app that can process that particular format of file or attachment.

Tim

Aftershock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you go for something like ReaddleDocs for Ipad It should handle most things mate. Reasonably priced as well.

ebentley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quick Office or Docs To Go

Hi,

If you're using attachments that are compatible with the Microsoft Office Suite, then you can use applications like Quick Office HD and Docs To Go to edit and save your files locally on your iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts