What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

saving down loaded documents?

Rjd137

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.christmasonmanhattan.com
ok i have a silly question. when i down load a pdf i don't know were it is saving it to and i would like to start saving my docs all in the same place can someone tell me how to do that

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Safari, when you view a pdf file, you'll find "Open in (app name)" and "Open in ..." at the top right. Tapping the latter will show you all the apps that will open/work with that file:

image-1835543007.jpg

(My file, picture: NASA)

Sometimes opening a file in an app also means saving it there. There are some exceptions as well:
Dropbox wants to make sure you intend to upload the file and also asks where to save it before you can view it in the app.
SkyDrive lets you view the file in the app, but if you intend to save it there, that has to be done separately. (These are two of the apps I know.)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the built in Mail app, if it looks like this:

image-868471352.jpg

tap it once more to take a look at the file. Again, in the upper right corner you'll find the button to save the file somewhere else.

image-3755211984.jpg

Choose one of the apps that are visible, don't choose "Copy" or "Print".

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ralph,
Did you look back in the email? Just click the PDF icon again and it should come up. As J.A. mentioned, apps own files on iOS. They do not exist and separate, free-ranging entities as they do on Windows. Lots of apps will let you send files to other apps and once in the other app, they can be found there, but you have to look inside the app for the file. You can send PDFs to iBooks, or to any app that can handle PDFs. One app I use a lot is GoodReader. I tend to keep all PDFs I want to keep in there.

Most reactions