What's new
Apple iPad Forum ๐ŸŽ

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving Blobs

Jaxtah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
I honestly think your problem is Windows Firewall blocking the connections. Double and tripple check that ;)

I don"t have the Windows Firewall enabled, f4780y - honestly, I checked that, it had to be disabled to allow the AVG firewall to work - something to do with 2 enabled firewalls conflicting with each other.
But, I will get my 2nd wind with this problem again later on tonight and give it another go ๎…

One question, if I may please - when you download TU do you normally get both options of 'save' and 'run'? I've only been given the option to run the .exe file. (apologies if this is a really noob question, but I am in unfamiliar waters here)

Sent from here ๎Œ‡๎”ฐ๎Œ‡ to there on my iPad2 using iPF

Jaxtah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
So are you convinced you are disabling AVG properly?

As far as I can tell from the on-screen messages - please see posts 5 & 9 on page 3 of this thread for screen shots . . . but if you can see something I've missed . . .

Btw - thanks for your persistence in helping me try to figure this out ๎€Ž

Confucious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.iphone-dev.org
The fact that you don't get the option to save TU to your computer sugests that there is something more fundemental wrong.
Do you have admin rights on your computer?

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Disable AVG firewall and enable Windows firewall. I think your issue is with AVG. Don't ya just love all this advice?

If that fixes it, I suggest you change to a different AV program.

Jaxtah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Confucious said:
The fact that you don't get the option to save TU to your computer sugests that there is something more fundemental wrong.
Do you have admin rights on your computer?

Yes, double checked this, as I'm the only one in the house who uses it and boots it up then by default I"m the administrator.

speedlever said:
Disable AVG firewall and enable Windows firewall. I think your issue is with AVG. Don't ya just love all this advice?

If that fixes it, I suggest you change to a different AV program.

Loving all this advice from everyone - thank you- seriously you rock!

Right, so far I have tried:

- with AVG FW and no Win FW
- with Win FW and no AVG FW
- no Win or AVG FW

Each time with a reboot and new download of TU ..... ๎™๎™๎™ same results as before - "do you have internet connection . . . . " ๎™๎™๎™
I've added a couple of screen shots to give you an idea of the message I get once TU has finished downloading and also one showing the current connections. This was taken after I ran TU without both Win & AVG FWs enabled.
Does this third screen shot show that TU is connected?

Attachments

• image-2155477373.png
    image-2155477373.png
    548.1 KB · Views: 195
  • image-3456620276.png
    image-3456620276.png
    531.2 KB · Views: 186
  • image-2445963900.png
    image-2445963900.png
    662.1 KB · Views: 200

johnl316

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
As far as I can tell, Apple is still signing iOS 4.3.3. So, save your SHSH blobs for that version.

please correct me if I don't have this right.

The way I understand it is that if Apple isnt signing version 4.3.3 anymore then having saved SHSH blobs won't help. Do I have that right?

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As I understand it, if you saved the blobs for 4.3.3, you can downgrade back to 4.3.3 because you can trick the computer into thinking Apple is still signing that version. Otherwise, you cannot downgrade since the blobs are device specific.

But my understanding is still very weak here.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
speedlever said:
As I understand it, if you saved the blobs for 4.3.3, you can downgrade back to 4.3.3 because you can trick the computer into thinking Apple is still signing that version. Otherwise, you cannot downgrade since the blobs are device specific.

But my understanding is still very weak here.

That's right. If you don't have your own blobs saved you cannot downgrade.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
speedlever said:
Which begs the question... why would I wish to downgrade?

Well, if you wish to jailbreak, you can only do that on 4.3.3 at the moment. Other reasons to downgrade may be that you don't like a change Apple made to the firmware and preferred it as it was. :)

H

hazi1610

graywolf said:
The blobs are saved on the Cydia server so when you go to restore, tiny umbrella re-routes iTunes from looking for the apple server for blobs, to Cydia.

And perhaps a little nicer language. Edited ~ I don't see a problem with jackass. It's an animal. Let's stay on topic. SP

As for downloading, the os will always be available on this forum, so no need to rush. But, when you download 4.3.4, iTunes deletes 4.3.3 from your computer.

Erm, I just decided to download tiny umbrella but am having problems, can't work out what I need to actually download?

Would somebody be kind enough to post a link if possible so that I know exactly what I am doing.

On iPad 2, 32g wifi only, 4.3.4. I know I'm too late to go back to 4.3.3 but I'm thinking for future use.

Thanks in advance.

From Alison, Sent from my iPad using iPF

H

hazi1610

hazi1610 said:
Erm, I just decided to download tiny umbrella but am having problems, can't work out what I need to actually download?

Would somebody be kind enough to post a link if possible so that I know exactly what I am doing.

On iPad 2, 32g wifi only, 4.3.4. I know I'm too late to go back to 4.3.3 but I'm thinking for future use.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I worked it out, installed and it recognises my device. Now, I wanted to see if I could drop back to 4.3.3 but no idea how I find out if my blob for that version is there. I did jailbreak briefly the other day you see and on Cydia, 4.3.3 was showing in green as it should. Just not sure if I will be able to find that now and go back to it if I wanted to. Am assuming not but I think it would be good for me to learn for future reference.

Again, thank you in advance to anyone who is able to advise and apologies if this is not the right place to post.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
speedlever said:
Which begs the question... why would I wish to downgrade?

Well, if you wish to jailbreak, you can only do that on 4.3.3 at the moment. Other reasons to downgrade may be that you don't like a change Apple made to the firmware and preferred it as it was. :)

Fair enough. I haven't been around iOS long enough to experience undesirable upgrades... yet. And I haven't bothered to JB... yet. ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts