What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving Blobs

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 - 32gb - WiFi only.

With some of the urgent messages I've seen in the last couple of days about 4.3.4 and saving SHSH and blobs, etc, I decided to attemp the Tiny Umbrella routine and save mine. One thing I'mnot sure about is if I am too late, having done that AFTER I have Jailbroken the iPad 2 with the recent website application of the JB.

It is also unclear to me, the part about unchecking saving SHSH to Cydia if there are problems. I know where hosts is and what to do with it on the basis of past comments on restoring. I unchecked the Cydia boxes first, then decided to do it over again leaving the Cydia saving boxes checked. Perhaps someone could help me understand that Cydia part a bit better.

Thanks,

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, the 4.3.3 window is closed now. Only 4.3.4 is being signed.
Just about 12 hours late.

You can only upgrade to 4.3.4 now, sorry.

Hopefully Leigh will come and explain the Cydia hosts stuff, I haven't quite worked that out yet. :)

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
May I tag along on this thread? I know nothing about JB... but may have an interest at some point. So today, after upgrading to 4.3.4, I decided to get TU and save my blobs.

The warning msgs about Cydia threw me for a bit, but then I read something on the TU blog about those warnings being a new addition... so I went back and unchecked the Cydia boxes like so (not sure why they were checked by default?):

zVpew.jpg

Then I chose the destination of my choice for the blobs and saved them. I was surprised to see these results (but probably because I have no idea what it all means):
pgTcK.jpg

Does this mean I have the blobs for 4.3.3, 4.3.4, and 5?

I wish I had saved the blobs before updating to 4.3.4, but maybe it doesn't matter?

This is all very new and I am obviously lost. Is there a tutorial to be found about the process? I'll read Max's 2011 JB thread and see what I can learn.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, Apple is still signing iOS 4.3.3. So, save your SHSH blobs for that version now.

@Bingoldsby: First, make sure you are running the latest version of Tiny Umbrella (TU), which is v5.00.05. Now, open TU and at the main splash screen, you'll hopfully see your device, a recent device list or both (see the first photo I've attached here).

TUPic1.jpg

If you don't see iOS 4.3.3 and iOS 4.3.4 in the "Saved SHSHs for [your] iPad (as seen in the picture), then press the "Save SHSH" button on that screen, upper right.

If I'm wrong and you can't save iOS 4.3.3 any more, TU will tell you ...

Now, if they did save, go to the "Advanced" tab and ensure there are no check marks in the second and third boxes (the ones that talk about Cydia). You'll also see the directory path on your PC where TU is saving those blobs. See this pic for what I mean:

TUPic3.jpg

If all that works, or looks like mine, then you've successfully saved your blobs and you can rest. Until the next time Apple releases another update ... and you need to save them again. :D

I hope this helped.

Marilyn

P.S. And yes, speedlever, you have successfully saved 4.3.3, 4.3.4 and some of the iOS 5 betas. See? Proof that (1) you don't need to jailbreak to save blobs and (2) you can save blobs for an older firmware even after upgrading - as long as Apple is still signing them. So, hurry, Bingoldsby (and anyone else in doubt) as it appears the window is still open....for now.

Last edited:

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn. I was confused because I didn't think it was possible to save a prior version's blobs after having updated to the next version. And then I saw what looks like blobs for beta versions of 5 that I haven't knowingly d/l yet? Interesting.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn. I was confused because I didn't think it was possible to save a prior version's blobs after having updated to the next version. And then I saw what looks like blobs for beta versions of 5 that I haven't knowingly d/l yet? Interesting.

What happened in your case was probably just hitting the window at the "golden moment", so you were able to get both 4.3.3 AND 4.3.4.

What happens is this...

Apple has to sign the "current" firmware all around the world at the same time. So up until yesterday that was 4.3.3. So any iDevice user anywhere in the world needs to be able to get blobs for this when they request it in case they need to update or restore. Quite simple.

Now when Apple release a new version like they did yesterday, i.e. 4.3.4 this must "seed" across the world in terms of the IOS download file in iTunes. There isn't a single cut over point for the whole world given the challenges that would be involved in that... So, for a number of hours (occasionally days) BOTH version can get signatures. Apple dare not turn off 4.3.3 UNTIL they can guarantee that anyone using iTunes will get 4.3.4 in their country when they request an update.

So, for that reason, if you request blobs using TU at the perfect moment, you will get both 4.3.3 AND 4.3.4 from Apple.
Obviously it is great you did it when you did, but you didn't manage to get round the system. It's just your timing was as late as it possibly could be for 4.3.3.

Oh, and as regard 5.x, yes, because that is currently in beta test, Apple will sign that. Note however, this does not mean you can just install the beta and use it. You still must have your iPad registered on the developer programme for it to activate.

Hope that clarifies!

Last edited:

Confucious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.iphone-dev.org
Apple usually sign FW for at least 24 hours after a new release and AFAIK are still signing 4.3.3 but are likely to stop any minute...
As 4.3.4 has been released that is also being signed as are the 5.0 betas.
Suarik originally stored Blobs an d a good explanation of what they are and why can be found at http://www.saurik.com/id/12 - although his server seems to be down at the minute.
Cydia will save your Blobs (if you clicked 'Make my life easier') but Saurik is running out of space with the Millions he has and he can not Guarantee to keep them all if he changes servers - some of the older ones might be lost.
Tiny Umbrella will get any Blobs that Apple are still signing (currently 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 5.0b1-3) AND any already saved on cydia and it stores them on your local machine.
Hope this clarifies things a bit and hasn't just confused matters further...

M4rk1ll3r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all - fwiw 4.3.3 is still being signed as of now in NZ anyway :).

Saw this thread and went for it ASAP now just need to JB heading there now, thanks for the quick guides v-useful for noobs.

Cheers

Riptides

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like I found this forum just in time.
Got my Ipad a few days ago, updated to 4.3.3 and jailbroke it right off the bat.
Just found this forum and the news about 4.3.4, lucky for me apple is still signing 4.3.3 and I was able to save the blobs.

Jaxtah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Couple of questions please. I'm not jb'n but may decide to do so in the future, I'm still new to my iPad2 and the whole new way of thinking involved with it having been a complete Windows user for too many years to mention.
I've read the link posted above about "All you need to know about Blobs" bit am still left wondering if someone can help clear the waters for me on these issues please:

1. Am I right in understanding that I need to save blobs now in case I want to jb in the future?
2. I recently synched my iPad 2 days ago - am I right in thinking that this process did not save my blobs?
3. Tiny Umbrella does not appear in the iTunes Store for me, probably because of my location (UAE), is there something else I can use for an un-jb'd iPad2?

Apologies if these are questions which have been asked before - if so please direct to the correct thread :)
Thanks in advance for any replies to point in the direction.

Sent from here  to there on my iPad2 using iPF

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
snip

What happened in your case was probably just hitting the window at the "golden moment", so you were able to get both 4.3.3 AND 4.3.4.

snip

Wow. I should have bought a lottery ticket today too!

Thanks for the excellent info.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Couple of questions please. I'm not jb'n but may decide to do so in the future, I'm still new to my iPad2 and the whole new way of thinking involved with it having been a complete Windows user for too many years to mention.
I've read the link posted above about "All you need to know about Blobs" bit am still left wondering if someone can help clear the waters for me on these issues please:

1. Am I right in understanding that I need to save blobs now in case I want to jb in the future?
2. I recently synched my iPad 2 days ago - am I right in thinking that this process did not save my blobs?
3. Tiny Umbrella does not appear in the iTunes Store for me, probably because of my location (UAE), is there something else I can use for an un-jb'd iPad2?

Apologies if these are questions which have been asked before - if so please direct to the correct thread :)
Thanks in advance for any replies to point in the direction.

Sent from here  to there on my iPad2 using iPF

I can't answer much for you, but TU is a program you run on your PC or Mac, not on the iPad or get from the app store.

The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella

Most reactions

Latest posts