What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving and opening Email attachments

N4th4n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have emails containing Excel spreadsheets and when I open them they open in the default application called Quick Look.

I have purchased "Docs to Go" which allows you to edit Excel spreadsheets, however how do I enable this to be the new default program??

Alternatively, can you save Excel spreadsheet attachements to the ipad local files in any way ?

Thanks

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome! I thought I read that if you press-and-hold on the attachment you'll get an "open with" selection.

But if I'm wrong someone will set me straight :D

OP
N

N4th4n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes me too, however thats not the case on mine. It just gives me one option.

Plus, I can't seem to save it on local files ?!?

vincentsrose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is what I did:

Tap the attachment > select open in... > Select ibooks.

It took me a couple of tries and what worked best was just to tap and hold. Quick taps don't work.

I saved a copy to iBooks. I used this to save a credit card authorization form for the sales staff. They use iPads out at locations and want to be able to print this form.

Last edited:

Ian_NZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can open a .docx attachment in iFiles but I cannot see any way to save it in a folder.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no "save in" function as you've [probably] come to expect on a PC. If you press and hold the attachment, what you'll get is an "Open In..." option. If you have an app loaded that can read/use .docx files (such as Goodreader, Pages, Documents2Go, etc), you'll be offered a drop-down box so you can select which app to use to open the file.

When you select the app, the app opens up the file (you leave the Mail app). Usually, the app that opens the file saves it within its own file system. Once its in the app, it's on your iPad (in that particular app's "sandbox") until you delete it.

The key here is to have an app loaded on your iPad that can open up certain files. You have to do some research to find which ones will work (and work best for you). But, that's the fun part (IMNSHO)! I love to "app shop"... :D

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Ian_NZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks. There was 3 copies sitting in the home folder, but I was looking in another folder.

Most reactions

Latest posts