What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sandbox Violation: [appname] deny network-outbound :22

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does iOS7 require other privileges/tweaks as opposed to iOS6, if one wants to connect to a local SSH server (127.0.0.1) using a local app? I tried two different terminal apps, but I can't connect to an SSH server within the device (connecting from laptop to iPhone/iPad works; also using the same app to connect from iPhone/iPad to an SSH server half way around the world works).
Diagnostics & Usage gets a relevant entry which includes the line "Sandbox Violation: [appname] deny network-outbound :22".

Another command line question... If I try to run Midnight Commander (with mc), I get " "Error opening terminal: xterm". How can I fix this? The file /usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm is there.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's a sandbox issue, not a permissions issue. Are you trying to SSH from your iPad to a terminal? Or a terminal to your iPad.

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It works in all directions but within the device itself (i.e. SSH connection to 127.0.0.1 using either iSSH or ServerAuditor). No such issue on iOS6, though.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just tested it out. They've changed the default sandboxing. You'd have to tweak it to allow for sandboxing.

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What exactly should I tweak in this particular case? Did they add firewall rules?
(It seems this part is still buggy or behaves differently than on 6 also because even after switching SSH server off in Settings, the two processes, namely sftp-server and sshd are still listed as running.)

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There was a proposed fix where you move the Prompt.app to a separate location to bypass it. I haven't tested it out but if you're looking to fiddle around I can give you the exact directories.

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I may give it a shot. Does it mean moving/copying the whole app directory from /var/mobile/Applications/XXXX to another one (e.g. /usr/here)? Or also issuing 'chmod' on the new location?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Move it from /var/mobile/Applications/ to /Applications. Move the Prompt.app actual file, not the entire folder.

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You mean "Prompt" file within "Prompt.app" folder (or, in my case, "iSSH" file within "iSSH.app" folder)? Does the move affect the shortcut/icon on the desktop, so it starts from the new location at all times later on?

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried doing that (moving "iSSH" file within "iSSH.app" folder to /Applications), but it didn't work. The app crashed on start, so I moved the file back.

Most reactions

Latest posts