What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Samsung Takes Hits at the iPad Air in its Latest Ad

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree! I just don't like advertisements which have to knock a competitor to promote their own product. There's no merit at all in that! Nice to see you here again thewitt!

In fairness, the MAC vs PC from years back did just that with the hip young guy making fun of the overdressed nerd guy. I mean...right? ;)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In fairness, the MAC vs PC from years back did just that with the hip young guy making fun of the overdressed nerd guy. I mean...right? ;)
Lol....really! Never knew that.....wouldn't have liked that either! ;)
In retrospect, the Apple ads were more generic and usually didn't mention Microsoft or any other company by name. They did promote Apple computers at the expense of those running the "other" operating system, however. ;)

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with that and I personally believe Apple's advertising was much more generic and made those watching think of alternatives. Samsung however makes a direct attack on a specific product which is frankly a turn off. Apple won awards for their advertising effort because it worked. Samsung wins no awards as they are clueless when it comes to writing and producing quality advertising

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This article in 2007 sums up Apples advertising and the just one of many awards they received.
Get a Mac ads honored as most effective
By Peter Cohen, PCWorldJun 8, 2007 12:00 AMprint

The Effie Awards honor the most significant achievements in the business of marketing communications, and the 39th annual Effie Awards gala was held on Thursday night. Apple’s “ Get a Mac ” ad campaign won the Grand Effie, the biggest award of the evening.

The “Get a Mac” campaign features actors John Hodgman and Justin Long as PC and Macintosh computers, respectively, in a series of 30-second television spots. Their banter distinguishes Macs from PCs as easier to use, less prone to virus or malware attacks, and including a rich assortment of software. The ads have engendered heated debate in some discussion forums on the Internet and elsewhere, but it’s hard to deny their effectiveness. The Grand Effie that the ad campaign received in part applauds the results: Increased product market share, heightened consumer awareness and more cultural influence.

“After much spirited discussion, the jury unanimously awarded Apple the Grand Effie for its portrayal of the Mac/PC rivalry. They managed to do it with humor, class, and honesty without falling into the trap of overtly negative competitive advertising,” said Grand Effie jury chair John Butler.

To me as stated there is absolutely no comparison with Samsung's advertising compared to,the above.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Samsung is really clueless with advertizing. Why make obvious hits against Apple? What in effect that is doing is admitting that Apple is in the number one seat. Now, what person is going to want an admittedly second-tier device? It is simply unbelievable that they could be so clueless.

The biggest problem I have with Android tablets is simple: lack of apps made for tablets. This also happens to be the problem with Windows tablets, too.

Last edited:

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's like the old saying "why can't we all just get along".

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with that and I personally believe Apple's advertising was much more generic and made those watching think of alternatives. Samsung however makes a direct attack on a specific product which is frankly a turn off. Apple won awards for their advertising effort because it worked. Samsung wins no awards as they are clueless when it comes to writing and producing quality advertising

It was more generic but you, me and everyone else knows who they were targeting. They were essentially stereotyping windows users which interestingly Samsung also did showing the apple dorks waiting in line for a phone who's major update was moving the headphone jack to another location.

Hey, BOTH sets of those ads were funny and I encourage more of it. Purely negative advertising is a little overboard, I will admit that.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pfft, that's like saying "Volkswagon takes on Rolls Royce with the new VW bug".

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Frankly, Samsung can take as many hits as it pleases against any of its competitors. It wouldn't make any difference to me getting or not getting a Samsung tablet or phone.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Anyways, iPad Air is much butter that any Android tablet.

I fully agree. With phones, it's a different story though. It seems the android phones do get mainly positive reviews and do have a decent chunk or market share.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agreed.

Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts