Samsung slams apple during the supper bowl - Effective?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by zipur, Feb 5, 2012.

1. zipur

zipur iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Do you think the Samsung line of adds are effective? The adds show the Samsung as innovative and "cooler" t
    Han people waiting in line for the next IPhone. All the while the a guy walks by and pulls out his "Built in" stylus on a Samsung with a 4 inch bright, clear screen.

Could it be that "I" equipment will be looked upon as for old people, parents and dweebs as the commercial shows. Was it a mistake to not relapse the ipad3 info during the supper bowl,? Is apple on the back side of the mountain of successes? Will apple still be king?

Cheers
  2. VR41541

VR41541 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    No. I was planning on getting a Samsung phone way before the commercial came out. Not everyone knows you can jailbreak apples products. Will this effect apple? I say no.
  3. nickwhite125

nickwhite125 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I honestly thought getting "Samsunged" was a slam on Samsung. My moms Samsung Galaxy S sucks.
  4. kierandill

kierandill iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I thought alot of the SB ads were weak, and that was one. Though I am all for poking fun at those who would sit on a sidewalk for anything other than being homeless.
  5. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Sign of desperation when you start attacking a competitor directly.
    Products should speak for themselves.

Hmmm Siri or stylus?
  6. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    I thought it was pathetic. First, people are waiting in line because they get a thrill from it. The idea of being swept up by another product is ludicrous. The Galaxy Note is meant to take on the iPad Touch. When was there a time when people waited in line for any iPod? The real kicker is how they lauded the stylus. Hey, Samsung, the stylus killed the Palm Pilot. Join 2012.
  7. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Ads such as these are not designed to convert a competitor's customers. They're designed to reinforce the attitudes of those already committed to the advertiser's product by highlighting an attitude toward a competitor's customers a viewer already has. In this case, the notion that Apple fans queue up patiently for whatever Apple introduces is a widespread perception. The commercial's intent is to flatter those not in this category by suggesting that they evaluate products on their own merits.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. kierandill

kierandill iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Couldn't agree more...mac-vs-pc.png
  9. Qdiddy

Qdiddy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think it could work, I can see samsung aiming for that large following of people that want top products but refuse to submit to Apple for one reason or another, therefore making Samsung that cool alternative in their minds.
  10. zipur

zipur iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    That was funny. I see everyone point however my teenage son does in fact see the Samsung as cool. He tells me the his circle of friend dont want iphone a I think I'm the cause because parents are now getting iPhone.

Cheers
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  11. RAC

RAC iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I didn't see said commercial but I know that, for the Galaxy S2, specific features that iDevices lack (Flash, replaceable battery etc) are highlighted without actually naming Apple. I think that it quite legitimate to do so and for Apple to be put to test in the court of public opinion this way. I am nt so sure that a direct comparison with the iPhone such as described is a good idea.

I went for the Galaxy S2 over the iPhone and I don't regret it by the way.
  12. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Just to reinforce the earlier point, advertising such as this is analogous to negative political advertising. The point of that sort of advertising is not to convert voters; it is to depress turnout among an opponent's weaker supporters. If Samsung manages to make a potential iPhone or iPad purchaser hesitate to commit to one of those devices, the advertising has done its job simply because a potential Samsung customer is lost once he/she purchases an Apple product. As long as that purchase decision can be postponed, Samsung has a chance at selling that customer.
  13. eKindom

eKindom iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
  14. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    Nope. I ordered my iPhone 4 via Verizon and got it the next day. Completely forgot about the Apple store (literally) that was down the street from my job on 5th avenue. Would never wait in line for any consumer product when we have the Internet.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update From NYC using iPF
  15. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    Yep. What will happen when the parents want a Samsung?? Lol

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update From NYC using iPF
  16. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    It was a shock for many to find that Apple did not have any ads during the Super Bowl. It is understandable that since there was no new products that needed a big boost, they did not feel the need to spend that type of money. Interestingly, the best advertising of the entire game may have been for Apple,...... when everyone gathered around the Giants and started taking photos with their iPhones. Talk about product placement.
  17. Qdiddy

Qdiddy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wouldn't surprise me at all if that was Apples's doing instead of an ad.
  18. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,355 / 1
    I don't believe that for a moment; too hard to keep a secret. But it would probably be a lot cheaper to give every member of both teams free iPhones and a two year contract than to buy Super Bowl add time. ;)
  19. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +479 / 0
    Samsung ad rated very low according to most reports nothing new or exciting just kicking at apple waste of money from what I can see
  20. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Unfortunately, though, the entertainment value of commercials has almost no correlation with their effectiveness. That's hard for many people to accept but the most effective ads aren't the ones folks like; they're the ones that hammer the product name so relentlessly that you cannot forget them. Entertainment value frequently distracts the viewer from product identification. Sad but true.