What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No panic----time for a reboot..

Turn the iPad off...

Now press and hold Power and Home for six to nine seconds until the white Apple logo appears - have faith, it will..

The iPad will reboot and you'll be fine..

Tim

Stegsy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same problem and turned my iPad off as suggested by Tim, but there has been no change.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am having the same problem and turned my iPad off as suggested by Tim, but there has been no change.
Hello Stegsy and welcome to the forum. Just to check that you followed the right sequence for a reset of your iPad as per Tim's suggestion (of nearly four years ago, but which still holds good today). Did you carry out the following steps?
Simultaneously hold down the On/Off and Home buttons until the screen blacks out. Don't let either go but keep holding down both buttons until the Apple logo appears and then let both go. Then wait until your wallpaper appears. Restart your iPad.
If you did do that...my apologies.
Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to what they should be.
Come back to let us know if you're still having that problem. There will be a solution I'm sure:)
Regards, Andrew

Stegsy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion OB, but I am still having the problem.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion OB, but I am still having the problem.
Sorry to hear that but you will need to help us to help you. All we have at present is that you have the same "problem" as someone of nearly four years ago whose Safari was "not responding"
Please tell us what iPad model you have, its storage capacity and the operating system version. Also can you enlarge on the problem: what were you trying to do and what happened? Freezing, lagging, blackout?
Here's a link which will give you further thought re Safari troubleshooting:
http://appletoolbox.com/apple-help-...t-index/safari-working-troubleshoot-problems/
Come back with further info, but first also try:
~~~~ Double press on the On button (the round one on the screen face) and swipe upwards and away the cards re previous work still hanging around in RAM.
~~~~ clear Safari history in Settings> Safari.
We have a number of pretty cluey members (yes, some are pretty too:)) who can help and will be in a position to do that with some further details re the problem.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

Stegsy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an IPad Air purchased Dec.2014
16 gb
Version 8.3 (12F69)

Thanks OB, I followed your suggestions...swiped away all cards and cleared Safari history in settings. I also went into apple toolbox...my auto fill and ad blocker were already off.

I went back into Yahoo and did not have a problem opening all sites. Glitch appears to have been rectified; however I'll keep an eye on it.

Just in case someone else has a similar problem, I was having trouble opening such sites as Canadian Press, CNBC, CBC, Buzzfeed. When I clicked on them the message "Safari cannot open the page because it could not load any data" came up on a blank grey screen. I would then have to click on the address bar, then on Yahoo to get back into Yahoo.
For some reason I never had a problem with the Daily mail site opening..likely because I have little interest in that one!!!!

Thanks so much from this not so "cluey" member for all your help, I'll remember to clear previous cards regularly (there were quite a few of them) and keep my fingers crossed.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the informative response Stegsy, and I'm glad things are moving along more smoothly now. Enjoy the forum and keep posting:)
Andrew

boobaloo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Stegsy and welcome to the forum. Just to check that you followed the right sequence for a reset of your iPad as per Tim's suggestion (of nearly four years ago, but which still holds good today). Did you carry out the following steps?
Simultaneously hold down the On/Off and Home buttons until the screen blacks out. Don't let either go but keep holding down both buttons until the Apple logo appears and then let both go. Then wait until your wallpaper appears. Restart your iPad.
If you did do that...my apologies.
Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to what they should be.
Come back to let us know if you're still having that problem. There will be a solution I'm sure:)
Regards, Andrew

When can we expect to get rid of the dastardly Reading Pane (PAIN) in SAFARI? I started using Chrome when it appeared in Landscape Mode and have not used it since. Problem....When I link from email, SAFARI opens and the danged pane is there. Hate that "feature"!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When can we expect to get rid of the dastardly Reading Pane (PAIN) in SAFARI? I started using Chrome when it appeared in Landscape Mode and have not used it since. Problem....When I link from email, SAFARI opens and the danged pane is there. Hate that "feature"!

Do you mean the left column?

If so, just tap the book icon to toggle it off. The featutre is sticky, so it tends to stay howevwer you last set it.

Make sure you are using hte book icon in the main tool bar, not the one in the column itself.

image.png

Most reactions