What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari suddenly the reading list

pcmotorhed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Safari suddenly lost the reading list including all favorites. I shutdown the device and that didn't resolve the issue. I also went into Settings to clear history and site settings but that also didn't help. Hopefully, there is a way to recover this data. I appreciate any advice.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In line with scifan's advice above, try cleaning out cache memory, in particular recently used Safari. Double tap the home button to bring up the apps you were recently using that are still hanging around in cache and get rid of them by sweeping the cards upwards. Turn your iPad off then on and restart Safari by tapping on the Safari icon. Let's know how you got on, there's bound to be other suggestions.
Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And here's another suggestion:
Go to Settings - iCloud, and make sure Safari's still enabled.

If you own another Apple device where Safari Favorites and Reading List should sync, make sure they still are there.

OP
pcmotorhed

pcmotorhed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried force closing Safari, then re-opening it to see if it reappears? There's no guarantee that this will work, though.
I tried this and it didn't work. Thanks for the response.
Pat Canady

OP
pcmotorhed

pcmotorhed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In line with scifan's advice above, try cleaning out cache memory, in particular recently used Safari. Double tap the home button to bring up the apps you were recently using that are still hanging around in cache and get rid of them by sweeping the cards upwards. Turn your iPad off then on and restart Safari by tapping on the Safari icon. Let's know how you got on, there's bound to be other suggestions.
Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk
I tried all of these steps a couple of times and they didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion.
Pat Canady

OP
pcmotorhed

pcmotorhed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And here's another suggestion:
Go to Settings - iCloud, and make sure Safari's still enabled.

If you own another Apple device where Safari Favorites and Reading List should sync, make sure they still are there.

My Safari wasn't iCloud enabled originally. When I select "Enable", it said that my Safari data will be merged with iCloud. I assume that this would merge the existing empty reading list and favorites to iCloud? Oh, well. This must be a real fluky issue with Safari. The only thing I recently did was to increase my iCloud size. This does not seem like it would have any affect with this. I appreciate your advice.
Pat Canady

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you didn't use iCloud for your bookmarks, enabling it now won't help.

Make sure your device shows the correct time and date (Settings - General - Date & Time).

Most reactions

Latest posts