What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari reporting as a desktop browser

acdcking12345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use safari on my Ipad 3. But it always brings up the mobile version of the browser page.

Is there a way to always have safari load the desktop version?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, there is no way with Safari. However, there are a couple of App Store browsers that can be set to ID themselves as desktop browsers. Two that come immediately to mind are Atomic Web Browser and iCab Mobile browser. They are both paid apps, but I know that they both work.

Marilyn

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Atomic Web Browser. It was one of my first paid apps - its only $.99 and it adds a variety of other features along with identifying as a desktop browser.

L

Lunar

Atomic web browser as stated has lots of useful options however it does crash occasionally, I really liked it, but got fed up with the crashes, so have reverted back to Safari which has never crashed once. If they fix the bugs I'd definitely start using it again.

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Atomic does crash occasionally, and Safari often seems faster. Those mobile web sites can be a real pain though. Atomic has instructions for creating a bookmarklet so that when I'm using Safari and need an Atomic feature I get taken right to it.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
acdcking12345 said:
I use safari on my Ipad 3. But it always brings up the mobile version of the browser page.

Is there a way to always have safari load the desktop version?

Not exactly sure what you mean by desktop version (due to extreme present noobishness) but I have always been a "googler" to find info on my Windows7 PC. Until I bought my great new iPad when I had another look at web browsing. I found Safari to be good and fast but what I did not like was that it showed my browsing history and,well, was not Google Chrome browser. Downloaded an excellent Google Chrome lookalike browser (free) called"Color Browser" ( It used to be called "Incognito" ) and it wipes all traces of your browser history when you close the app. I like my privacy ever since George Smiley recruited me. This is a great app where web pages are not added to your history as in Safari. Yes, I know you can wipe the history in Safari with a few extra steps, but I like this free app. Check it out. Regards.

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The OB said:
Not exactly sure what you mean by desktop version (due to extreme present noobishness) but I have always been a "googler" to find info on my Windows7 PC. Until I bought my great new iPad when I had another look at web browsing. I found Safari to be good and fast but what I did not like was that it showed my browsing history and,well, was not Google Chrome browser. Downloaded an excellent Google Chrome lookalike browser (free) called"Color Browser" ( It used to be called "Incognito" ) and it wipes all traces of your browser history when you close the app. I like my privacy ever since George Smiley recruited me. This is a great app where web pages are not added to your history as in Safari. Yes, I know you can wipe the history in Safari with a few extra steps, but I like this free app. Check it out. Regards.

Hi The OB,
For browsing the web without a history file being created, there is also an app by Savy Soda , Free Full Screen Private Browsing For iPhone and iPAd.
There is a free version with its tiny ad at top of page, which goes away once you enter the search. Or the full app can be purchased for $1.99 removing the ad space.
It's convenient to use and doesn't save any History in the normal iPad-Safari browser way.

Chas

Sent from my new iPad 3 using iPF

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The OB said:

Many websites have a simplified mobile version designed to fit the screen of a smartphone. Since Safari is a universal app for both the iPad and iPhone those websites don't know that you've got enough screen real estate for the full desktop version so they automatically send you to the mobile version.

Atomic and some other browsers have a setting to identify the browser as a full desktop version so you're not automatically sent to the mobile version.

I just checked and Atomic has a setting for private mode that clears cookies and history when you're done.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts