What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari on ipad2 after update

dadakko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently connected my ipad2 to iTunes for any upgrades/updates. Since then when I open a window in safari it gets stuck. It won't allow me to move about the current window, close the window, open bookmark, etc. It will allow me to clear address line and enter new web address. I have to power off ipad to be able to move about safari again Does anyone have this problem? How can I fix it?

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try a full reboot : Hold the Power and Home buttons down at the same time until the apple logo appears. Wait a few minutes until it restarts, you should be all set.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try a full reboot : Hold the Power and Home buttons down at the same time until the apple logo appears. Wait a few minutes until it restarts, you should be all set.
Actually what you're describing is a "reset", not a "reboot" or restart. Generally resets should only be done when an iPad has become completely unresponsive.

Although a reset may take care of it, a restart will usually resolve these sorts of issues. Hold the power button (only) down until the Power Off slider appears. Power it down and then back up.

More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the link! I suggested the "reboot" (reset) because it sounded like the OP had already tried a restart (powered down and back on). Maybe I read it wrong :)

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the link! I suggested the "reboot" (reset) because it sounded like the OP had already tried a restart (powered down and back on). Maybe I read it wrong :)
You're probably right...just wanted to clarify terms a bit.

Cheers!

OP
D

dadakko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did both. But I don't think I should have to every time I open a new page in safari. That was my point. Sorry if I did not convey that in my original post. But thanx for clarifying reboot vs reset.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're still having problems after a reset there's something wrong. You should take your iPad to an Apple store if there's one nearby. If not, contact Apple support for service.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tend to agree about contacting Apple. Just wondering, did you actually do an update?, or just check for one?

If you did update, then I might suggest doing a restore (to back up) if you've backed up recently. Then if safari works normally, try the update again.

Also (even though this should be cleared by the reset), did you check & clear Cache, Cookies, & History in settings?

Is it every web site, or just a few "odd ball" sites? I believe the current update was to address specific security issues with Safari.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tend to agree about contacting Apple. Just wondering, did you actually do an update?, or just check for one?

If you did update, then I might suggest doing a restore (to back up) if you've backed up recently. Then if safari works normally, try the update again.

Also (even though this should be cleared by the reset), did you check & clear Cache, Cookies, & History in settings?

Is it every web site, or just a few "odd ball" sites? I believe the current update was to address specific security issues with Safari.
Good questions and good advice. FWIW this is the first I've heard about anything like this (with respect to Safari on the iPad) so it doesn't appear to be a common problem...probably isolated to the OP's situation...whatever that might be. :confused:

OP
D

dadakko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all for your tips, advice, etc. I took all into consideration. I did complete update, cleared all and so far it has not locked up on me since. Crossing my fingers.

SLeimbach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope you stay free of this problem! I've been experiencing the same thing. Can't get out of Safari after it locks onto one page, and it doesn't seem to matter which site I'm on, just randomly locks up. So, I've been restarting my iPad repeatedly. Gonna follow suggestions above.

Most reactions

Latest posts