What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari on iPad 2 does not open new windows

Charli88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello

I recently bought an iPad 2 and everything works great except that I am unable to open new windows in Safari. When long pressing a link the only option that appears is to open a new tab. Opening a tenth link simply closes a tab rather than open a new window. I have turned on and off various Safari settings, downloaded latest versions, turned the app on and off, etc. What is wrong with Safari and is there something I can do to fix this?

I hope there is some simple solution to this because it really makes using Safari very limited.

Thanks in advance!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello

I recently bought an iPad 2 and everything works great except that I am unable to open new windows in Safari. When long pressing a link the only option that appears is to open a new tab. Opening a tenth link simply closes a tab rather than open a new window. I have turned on and off various Safari settings, downloaded latest versions, turned the app on and off, etc. What is wrong with Safari and is there something I can do to fix this?

I hope there is some simple solution to this because it really makes using Safari very limited.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum! I'm not clear about what you mean when you say "new window". If you mean that you want to open a new tab, then press the "+" in the tabs list (far right) to open a new tab.

IMG_0013.PNG

If you press and hold a link within a web page you will have the option to open a new tab from the action list.

IMG_0014.PNG

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
OP
C

Charli88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can open tabs on Safari. Though of course this is limited to nine. What I am not able to do is open new windows, to open an entirely new page. This is an available function for iPhone and iPad 1 so I can't imagine that Safari no longer offers it.

Thanks again!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can open tabs on Safari. Though of course this is limited to nine. What I am not able to do is open new windows, to open an entirely new page. This is an available function for iPhone and iPad 1 so I can't imagine that Safari no longer offers it.

Thanks again!
Are you thinking of the old Mobile Safari for iPad thumbnail layout? Looked like this?

Screen Shot 2011-11-13 at 12.30.38 AM.png

That was replaced with tabs in Mobile Safari with the iOS 5 upgrade.

You can open a new tab/blank page or a new tab from a link, as described above now, but no "new window".

Last edited:

zealofsoul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try closing the app from the multi tasking window. Double tap on the home button and hold on the Safari icon from the bottom row, tap on the minus sign to shut it down and restart the app.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try closing the app from the multi tasking window. Double tap on the home button and hold on the Safari icon from the bottom row, tap on the minus sign to shut it down and restart the app.
That's still not going to change the properties of the Mobile Safari App. By the OP's descriptions, it's not malfunctioning.

OP
C

Charli88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help.

Does that mean that there can only be nine tabs/windows open maximum at any time?

Kalkas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is odd that Safari in iPhone opens new windows, but cannot open new tabs, while in iPad it opens only new tabs. For opening new web pages, in iPhone you click on an "icon" depicting two windows side by side, while in iPad, you got a plus sign for opening new pages. It is odd that these devices uses different methods of opening new pages given the fact that they use the same iOS 7. Personaly, I prefer new windows, because you can scroll through these. In iPad, with many tabs, you cannot have a good overview, they become somehow cluttered.

Best regards,

Kalkas

VickyCA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I, also, am disappointed that this feature is no longer used. It answers the question I posted on a new thread myself. You explained it much better than I did though.

Most reactions

Latest posts