What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

safari locked up

Watty82648

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Today my safari stopped working. The screen is shaded and you can't scroll on the page. the forward and back arrows work but no matter what page you are on it is non-functional. none of the other icons (page, bookmarks) work either. I am very frustrated and at a complete loss.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When things start acting a bit weird, it's a good idea to completely shut the iPad off and restart. You should probably do this at least once a week (my unsupported opinion on frequency.)

Just hold down the power button for about three seconds. You'll get a power off slider. Go ahead and slide it off. Wait until the iPad completely shuts down and then restart it by holding down the power button for about three seconds again.

For more serious problems, when shutting it off doesn't work, you can do a soft reset. Hold down the power and home button for about 10 to 15 seconds, or until the Apple logo appears. Let go and wait for it to reboot. This will take a few minutes, so be patient.

OP
W

Watty82648

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
When things start acting a bit weird, it's a good idea to completely shut the iPad off and restart. You should probably do this at least once a week (my unsupported opinion on frequency.)

Just hold down the power button for about three seconds. You'll get a power off slider. Go ahead and slide it off. Wait until the iPad completely shuts down and then restart it by holding down the power button for about three seconds again.

For more serious problems, when shutting it off doesn't work, you can do a soft reset. Hold down the power and home button for about 10 to 15 seconds, or until the Apple logo appears. Let go and wait for it to reboot. This will take a few minutes, so be patient.

Thanks, it worked the next day. I've been using the Zaggmate keyboard so I thought that was the problem. I think it was just "acting weird" as you said because it hasn't happened again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another thing that can do this to Safari is advertising. You know those great big in-your-face cover almost all page advertisements that sometimes appear? On Safari they often look like a grayed out screen.

If you scroll to the top right of the page you can sometimes see a faint X to close the advertisement and continue on your way.

Holliwoodgrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Safari locking up

This happened to me today due to the page being unsupported by my browser. I was trying to view my FAFSA for college. Going into settings and clearing cookies, etc., did nothing, but a reset solved the problem.

Crystal24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you twerppoet!!!!!
The thing about you saying that shut off the iPad2 and restart it again really worked. You saved my life or I would have to go to some store and they would have charged me hundreds of dollars.:)

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

A memory clean with XSysInfo (from the App store) usually works for me. It's like doing a restart without actually doing it.

notinthoseshoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went through the whole business of registering on this site just so I could say thank you to you. thank you it worked!

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
A memory clean with XSysInfo (from the App store) usually works for me. It's like doing a restart without actually doing it.

Can't find that on the app store. Where from?

Most reactions

Latest posts