What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari locked up today

abcarias

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just loaded all kinds of stuff on my Ipad2 and all of a suddent the safari screen shaded and I cant use it. Everything else on the device seems to be working. Any advice would be most appreciated!

OsabaMark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try totally switching off the device, ie. Power off, that should reset it, I think. Hope it works for you.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
With Safari closed: double tap the Home button to pull up the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon until they start to jiggle. Tap on the minus sign on the Safari apps icon. This will remove it from RAM, and insure the app a clean start the next time you open it. Tap the Home button again to exit.

If that does not work a complete power down, as OsambaMark suggests should. Apple calls this a restart. You should probably do this once in a while anyway. Once a month is usually about right, or whenever the iPad starts to act strange.

And if that does not work try a reset.

It's very unlikely that one of these won't fix a Safari crash, but if they don't let us know.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

u038617

iPF Noob
Reaction score
same issue...

We are having the same issue - safari opens briefly and then closes. mail opens but as soon as you click a message it closes too. also we can not access the app store. have tried the suggestion mentioned - anything else we can do?

ssilver10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had the same exact problem before I got my new iPad.

First try double clicking the home button to bring up the multi-tasking bar. Hold an app that appears in the multi-tasking bar and it will start to jiggle. Press all the little "minus'" to delete them and stop them from running. When you close an app, no matter what app it is, it will be running in background. So it is good to do this once in a while.

If the problem persists restore your iPad. When your iPad is fully restored it will ask you if you want to use an old iPad back up. Pick "set up as new iPad" because if the problem was on the iPad, it will surly be on the backup.

And if the problem still persists go to your local Apple store. Make sure to set up a Genius Bar Appointment because usually they will not have any open spots. Explain your problem and they most likely replace it for you. If they ask to see the problem them-selves, meaning see it frozen, try going on a website with a lot going on like ESPN.

I hope you resolve your problem.

Regards,

Ralphy

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are having the same issue - safari opens briefly and then closes. mail opens but as soon as you click a message it closes too. also we can not access the app store. have tried the suggestion mentioned - anything else we can do?

Did you try both restart and reboot. They are entirely different operations as far as the iPad is concerned. If both really do fail to fix the problem and you've quit all the apps too, then a visit to the Apple Store is definitely on the cards...

Tim

u038617

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes we tried both restart and reboot. thanks for both of your suggestions. we have tried the restore but like you said, restoring the old ipad did not fix it. we have not tried the new ipad selection because i was wondering if there was a way to save our content, pics, books music etc. or is it gone for good?

u038617

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fixed by using the new ipad selection.. used dropbox for pics. thanks for your help! hopefully they will come up with a fix that doesnt require this step.

ssilver10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I next can suggest is wait for iOS 5 and iCloud. One they come out everything on your iPad will be pushed up into the cloud. So after iOS 5 and iCloud come out you will have no problems with getting a replacement iPad.

Most reactions