What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari - Google input box - Close final tab

John Bib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After updating iPad to iOS 8.0.2, I have three Safari issues:

1. No Google suggestions from the url box

2. The input box on google.co.uk slides under the keyboard so I can't see what I'm typing (landscape only)

3. Can't close the final tab and get back to Favourites without pinching, swiping left and tapping 'Done'
(Under iOS 7 the Close Tab icon was always available even with only one tab open).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
1. You should be getting suggestions. Make sure you have Search Engine Suggestions turned on in Settings > Safari.

2. Yes, that is annoying. The Keyboard under iOS 8 has a tendency to cause some page scrolling; a bug. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next update. You can scroll/drag the page back up to see the input field, and it will 'usually' stay there.

3. Not much can be done about this one. You can tap the double square icon at the top right to get to the same view, and tap the (x) on the page thumbnail to close it. That's the only variation that I know of.

{as opposed to pinch then swipe}

Also, scrolling the webpage makes most of the header disappear. You can get it back by tapping the status bar. Tapping it a second time, after the header and tabs are back, will take you to the top of the page.

OP
J

John Bib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help twerppoet. you gave me a shove in the right direction.

I did have Search Engine Suggestions turned on but when I fiddled with the settings ....
Turn Private Browsing off and I get suggestions.

2. Hope they fix the Keyboard ... page scrolling bug, but as you say, there's a work-around.

3. I'm living with tapping the url box to get Favourites pop-up over the current page.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I didn't think of private browsing. I'm not sure why it would affect search suggestions; but you can turn that on/off without going to settings. The same place you use to close that last page; top right.

I'm glad you figured it out.

Most reactions

Latest posts