What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari (Google) Header?

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm using Google as the search engine and one of the web sites I visited insisted on putting its "article title" I read, under the WWW window.
Can't figure out how to get rid of it!
Deleted the Google Icon and re-loaded it; still there!
Using 9.3.1.

Thanks!! Ken

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Clear history and website data in Settings - Safari, and force close Safari: double tap the Home button to show the App Switcher, then slide the thumbnail towards the top of the screen.

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Clear history and website data in Settings - Safari, and force close Safari: double tap the Home button to show the App Switcher, then slide the thumbnail towards the top of the screen.

Thanks for the suggestion J. A. That was one of the things I tried a while back with no luck and just did it again. Tried everything I know, even deleting the app, switching to yahoo as the browser and other stuff.....Ken

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can't delete Safari. It's a built in app. Do you use a different app?

Meant to say I deleted the Google desktop icon. Tried switching the browser in settings to yahoo which didn't help......Ken

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you create a homescreen icon in Safari, it should open with exactly the same page that was visible when you created it, every time you tap the icon.

Did you try removing the icon, then clearing history and website data in Settings - Safari, force closing Safari, then adding the icon once more? (In that order.)

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When you create a homescreen icon in Safari, it should open with exactly the same page that was visible when you created it, every time you tap the icon.

Did you try removing the icon, then clearing history and website data in Settings - Safari, force closing Safari, then adding the icon once more? (In that order.)

Thanks J. A. Gave that a try but still no luck. A weird problem for sure! Ken

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What if you try the Google app, or an adblocker?

Believe it or not, got rid of it.
I had done a search in Amazon, when I came back to Safari ( Google) the Amazon page was still up. Couldn't go back to the google page to search again. Left arrow couldn't go back any more. Went to settings and deleted the safari cookies and stuff. Came back to the Google page and the only thing that was on the page now was an icon of the thing I was trying to get rid of! Tapped on it and it had a delete option!! That deleted the icon "as well" as the words under the WWW field........Gone!! Ken

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like I was confused. You had created a favorite in Safari, and that's why you couldn't get rid of it. I misunderstood your very first post. Sorry!
I'm glad you found out how to remove it.

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Looks like I was confused. You had created a favorite in Safari, and that's why you couldn't get rid of it. I misunderstood your very first post. Sorry!
I'm glad you found out how to remove it.[/QUOT

Duno, J.A. I just created a Google desktop icon and that web site article heading "stuck" to it! I'm not big on IPAD stuff, so I may have given you the wrong impression but thanks a whole bunch for the tips!! I always find out something new.....Ken

Most reactions