What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari displays on left half of page

haricotboat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get a daily digest from the Bucks free press , when I click a hyperlink the page displays only on the left of the screen.

I Have asked the paper and there support desk says

“Unfortunately we can't reproduce this on two different iPads. According to the Apple forums it isn't possible to zoom out beyond the device width. I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on how the user can fix this, it's most probably a setting on his device but I don't know what setting it could beâ€.

As a newbie I cannot add an image or link to the site that I am having access problems with,it is bucksfreepress.co.uk.

Does anyone know any controls that might need tweeking,all other sites are fine

Any thoughts please

Attachments

• Ipad.JPG
    Ipad.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,087

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. Sorry to have to ask the obvious, but have you tried double tapping on the page to see if it zooms to fit the screen? I ask because this is a screen shot of that page (in portrait mode) on my iPad:

View attachment 30846

Now, granted, it was after I did a Google search on the newspaper and then went to it from Google (in Safari). I did not try to follow a link. Where did you get the link? Was it in an e-mail, a flyer... ?

Very odd behavior of your iPad. So, if double tapping doesnt work, my suggestion is to fully close Safari and restart or reset the iPad. To do (apologies if you know):

Fully Close an App: Double tap the Home button (or do a 4-finger swipe up) to reveal a row of icons in the multi-tasking bar. Press and hold an icon until they all start to wiggle and you see a red circle with a minus sign ("-") in the top left. Press the minus sign to fully close the app. Don't worry, it won't remove the app from your iPad, just from the iPad's resident memory.

Then...
Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't help, try this last step...

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

See if any of that works? If yes, yay! If not, please let us know and we'll take another shot at it.

Marilyn

OP
H

haricotboat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Mickey but no joy,and could not see your attachment .Double tap gives an over zoom ,can pinch page out to get to correct size.Works fine using google appI get a daily email with links

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Some sites to that to my iPad3, too. I suspect it's something in the site's CSS code that Safari doesn't interpret correctly or consistently. Often, the issue seems to resolve itself with manual zooming. I've recently switched to Mercury for most of my browsing, and haven't seen this behavior in that app.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just tried it on my iPad and the site displayed properly in both portrait and landscape modes.

Most reactions

Latest posts