What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari crashes....closes unexpectedly ...

anjum0123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi..
Since yest my safari suddenly closes when i go on facebook... For other websites its fine.. Only wen i open my fb account on my ipad it closes.... Can anybody tell me the reason?
I hav deleated cookies and hav selected option to accept cokies too. Also restarted my ipad.. Still the same... Can anybdy help me pls....

caughy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ipad has limited memory management, unlike a pc where memory is swapped constantly to the harddrive. Safari is a memory hog. When you go to facebook, either the website or app, and scroll a friend's timeline, memory is used in sizeable quantities to hold those pages. This is actually one scrollable page and can easily exceed the capacity of the device. When that happens, you will be returned to the background display of the ipad and an error will be written to the diagnostics section of the device. It will report a low memory condition with the date and timestamp. Outside, of the nice display, I wish now that I had bought a much cheaper Kindle and a new laptop. My expectations for the Kindle will have been much lower. Apple is all about hype and marketing and they don't xxxxxxxxxxx about you and your experiences on their devices.

MODERATED: as this is a Family Forum,please mind your language.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well alrighty then.

I agree that it is probably the RAM being overwhelmed by certain websites with visual content, like Facebook, which causes your pad to revert to the home screen by crashing safari.

The rest, I do not agree with nor think it is helpful to this discussion.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
anjum0123 said:
Hi..
Since yest my safari suddenly closes when i go on facebook... For other websites its fine.. Only wen i open my fb account on my ipad it closes.... Can anybody tell me the reason?
I hav deleated cookies and hav selected option to accept cokies too. Also restarted my ipad.. Still the same... Can anybdy help me pls....

iPads differ with the amount of ram they have, an iPad 1 - 256mb, iPad 2 - 512mb and the new iPad has 1 gb. This would appear to be a ram issue at work here, different sites do use more ram than others, apps are also the same. There are steps you can take to minimize this happening, deleting your cookies and history is a good idea as well as limiting any location services you are running. Do you close your apps completely regularly, apps left open in your multi task bar all use some ram and it's a good idea to close them when not in use.

From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press an app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen. It's a good idea to close all these apps, as it helps the iPad run smoothly.

Hope this helps you.

FrogLady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lots of great suggestions here. I have done them all and my iPad still crashes every minute or so when I try to use Facebook. There are many other problems with it lately as well. All seem to be resulting from the most recent software "update".
After many, many years as a devoted iPhone and iPad user I am now researching alternatives to these apple products. I hope to find a better smartphone and maybe even a tablet in the next year. Sorry Apple, I did not have to jump through all these hoops you are suggesting in order to use my iPad before the recent changes. Now I feel that Apple = epic fail!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
FrogLady said:
Lots of great suggestions here. I have done them all and my iPad still crashes every minute or so when I try to use Facebook. There are many other problems with it lately as well. All seem to be resulting from the most recent software "update".
After many, many years as a devoted iPhone and iPad user I am now researching alternatives to these apple products. I hope to find a better smartphone and maybe even a tablet in the next year. Sorry Apple, I did not have to jump through all these hoops you are suggesting in order to use my iPad before the recent changes. Now I feel that Apple = epic fail!

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Did you do a reset after the last update, it's always a good idea and helps everything to settle in nicely.

Reset - Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

Hope this helps!

FrogLady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Did you do a reset after the last update, it's always a good idea and helps everything to settle in nicely.

Reset - Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply.

I have to do a hard reset at least 3 times a week because my iPad will hang, or it will start shutting down unexpectedly.
Sometimes I have to reset the iPad several times in one day.

It wasn't this bad before the update, but I've found overall that Apple's products have gone downhill in quality over the years. The first iPhone I had, a 2G, didn't have any problems. I used it for a couple of years then sold it for what I paid to upgrade. Those days are gone.

Most reactions