What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari closes without warning

wwallace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So without warning while surfing with Safari, it will just close? I haven't been able to pin it to a certain action, but it does it regularly . It started after the upgrade to 5.0.1

Advice needed ?

William

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, apps just "crash." This includes Safari. All you can do when this happens is fully close out the app by either 4-finger swiping up or double-clicking the Home button to reveal your multi-tasking bar. Then, press and hold the Safari icon until it wiggles and you see a red minus sign on it. Press the minus sign to close the app. Then, try to run it again.

Or, you can try either a restart or a reset of the iPad (or both). To do:

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

It's just that sometimes, there's not enough RAM to keep the iPad (read: Safari) running well. It gets "clogged" down. One of these three methods should help.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

greasemuntney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad 1 did this when I went to iOS 5.0. I found that when I had iHeartRadio running it would cause many other apps to open but when you start navigating through them they would crash back to springboard. If you goto setting>General>About>Diagnostics & Usage>Diagnostics & Usage Data. Inside there you will find a crash log that will show you what and when caused your app to crash back to springboard. Little hard to read but you can get information.

erentok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I face the exactly the same problem after updating the OS to 5.0.1. I personnaly believe there is more than "just apps crash in general", since we never had such problems before.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
erentok said:
I face the exactly the same problem after updating the OS to 5.0.1. I personnaly believe there is more than "just apps crash in general", since we never had such problems before.

Are you using an iPad 1? The older iPad (which is what I am using) has significantly less RAM which may cause the issue.

The Archangel

erentok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Our version is Ipad2. And we do not store too much data in general to maximize the performance of the device. This is reall just started after updating version 5.0.1 and it is not limited to only Safari but also happens with other apps as well including facebook when you scroll down fast etc.. Thanks and cheers.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Our version is Ipad2. And we do not store too much data in general to maximize the performance of the device. This is reall just started after updating version 5.0.1 and it is not limited to only Safari but also happens with other apps as well including facebook when you scroll down fast etc.. Thanks and cheers.

If you haven't done a reset as Marilyn suggests above, do so and see if it resolves your problem. Assuming it does not, I suspect you have a corrupted OS and the next step would be to reset your iPad while connected to iTunes on your computer. And if that doesn't work or you're trying to get along without a computer via the iCloud option, I'd suggest you take it to an Apple store and get their assistance.

OP
W

wwallace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
all good points. However, what makes me think its something else is the fact that my wife has an iPad 1 and i have the 2. We updated to 5.0.1 at the same time, and the exact same thing started to happen to both iPads. Our usage and apps could not be any different, she is an app queen, and i have two additional apps. I primarily use mine for surfing, and she uses hers for everything under the sun. BUT, the one constant is the brand new problem of Safari crashing?

another example is this, i ALWAYS close Safari by double clicking the home key and then press and hold the Safri logo until it wiggles and then touch the dash. On the other hand, my wife never closes anything. But again, both of our Safaris crash consistently.

Problem is i cant make it crash, i never know when it will happen, so i don't want to look like an idiot in the Apple store.

Also, neither iPad did this before?

William

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think there is a glitch in Safari. It was heavily re-written by Apple for iOS 5, so I am unsurprised that it crashes often. And, you are not the only person who has reported Safari troubles.

The only thing I can suggest, other than the fixes mentioned (which is really a way of "dealing with it"), is to report the trouble to Apple. Maybe if enough people report it, it will get looked at.

Sorry, but that's all I've got. Until Apple fixes it, that's the way it Is going to behave...

Marilyn

OP
W

wwallace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yea, its not a huge deal. Im sure they will come out with a patch here soon.

erentok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
If you haven't done a reset as Marilyn suggests above, do so and see if it resolves your problem. Assuming it does not, I suspect you have a corrupted OS and the next step would be to reset your iPad while connected to iTunes on your computer. And if that doesn't work or you're trying to get along without a computer via the iCloud option, I'd suggest you take it to an Apple store and get their assistance.

İ have reset and will check if it helps. Many thanks for all the comments and good suggestions. Cheers

Michiganmommyof3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I started having this problem right after i installed the newest ios also. It was driving my husband and i crazy trying to figure out the cause. So i googled and found this board. Tried a few things, but nothing was working for me. Then my computer geek friend told me how to fix it..and sure enough it worked!!!! Then i ended up finding it on an apple board after he told me. Here it is...hope it helps someone:)

"On devices that support multitasking with iOS 4*, you can close applications running in the background. To do this, double-tap the Home button to display a menu of recent applications,(hold your finger down on any one of the apps until it starts wiggling and a minus sign appears) then click the red minus on the icon for each application you wish to close.". I clicked the minus sign on ALL of them..hasn't shut down on me since i did this

I'm guessing this has something to do with the memory issue? I'm not that computer savvy..just want my ipad to run so i can surf the web and play words with friends LOL

Last edited:

caningit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was told at the Apple store that Safari needs to be update and that is why it contines to crash. Does anyone know how to upgrade
Safari?

OP
W

wwallace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
all i know is, mine is getting worse. It closes on every other web page. I thought this latest update to iTunes would have fixed it, but there wasn't a Safari update included.

I am sure Apple doesn't want to admit fault during the Christmas HIGH competition season. Most likely after Christmas an update will magically appear.

Most reactions