Safari Broken; How to "Recycle" It?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by bob12603, Dec 6, 2015.

1. bob12603

bob12603
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Safari is broken on my iPad (iOS 9.1). It's unable to access the Internet. When it's trying to get web data the progress bar starts to move to the right but then stops after about 1/2 inch. Chrome has no problem. I have many pages open, so I imagine that might be the problem.

In any event, I think that the first thing I should try is to simply totally stop Safari and then restart it. (Hopefully with Safari still remembering all of the currently open pages.) But I have no idea how to do that.

Any help would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,. Bob

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Bob - just for starters, you can force close Safari using the directions below - you may want to also go to Settings -> Safari - there 'Clear History and Website Data'. If those maneuvers, do not help, then 'Reset' the iPad (also quoted below) - let us know your results. Note that Safari is part of iOS so the app cannot be deleted by itself. Dave :)

3. bob12603

bob12603
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thank you very much giradman! Having never seen the multitasking screen before I decided to pass on that and try #2. Which I think I had already tried but wasn't certain. In any event, #2 took care of the problem.

So thanks very much. I appreciate your help.

Bob

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Great Bob! But do take a look @ the multitasking screen, i.e. simple to bring up and often will solve a misbehaving app w/o having to do a Reset - also keep the other suggestion in mind about your browser data & history - good luck. Dave :)