What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S.O.S. Can I use Photoshop CS5 on an IPad?

Reaction score
I´m a photographer about to buy an iPAd thinking of using it on the way for editing my pictures. I got a desktop computer with Snow Leopard + Adobe Phtoshop CS5. I wonder if I could install snow leopard over an Pad + Photoshop ?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No to both installations as they won't work on the device.

The iPad is brilliant for displaying photographs but it's better to do all your work on the Mac then transfer the finished results to it.

Use your desktop for the heavy lifting and the iPad for portability and display.

That said there are one or two suprisingly good photo manipulation apps for the iPad. Sorry someone's using my iPad at the moment and I can't check their names...

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Right grabbed it back.
The app I currently use is called Photogene.
It's not as fully featured as photoshop but does provide a wide range of basic options.
The real problem is the amount of ram available on the iPad which restricts the amount of layers and undo etc..

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanx 1991-C4, Hasty, iVan, I was thinking on iPad wt 8, 16 o 64 GB wt Power enough to run Snow Leopard + Photoshop CS5. Forgive my ignorance but an iPad is a basic PDA wt bigger screen, isn't it?

how much ram does a iPad have?

i think I remember I had Photogine on my Nokia N95, work fine on it. very similar to photoshop on basic but as you said too slow 'cause of ram

Any way thanks for your support

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad is not a PDA please read reviews regarding the product. If you wish to use photoshop etc what you need is a MacBook or MacBook pro with osx and plenty of ram.

I suggest you visit an Apple store and really see what the iPad can be used for. I am sure you will be surprised.

I have several business friends in advertising and professional photographers whom are using the iPad to compliment their main computers and love it. They do not carry laptops with them any more when visiting clients only the iPads for presentation.

Last edited:

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope the OP forgives me for saying this, but I sometimes wonder if some of these questions are here to bait.

Excuse me for saying this, but anyone who is really serious about photo editing/digital darkroom work KNOWS that only a fully spec'd desktop is truely suitable; even a high end laptop is a poor second place.

drwinston001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what Prasius said. There's no way the OP is being serious. Lets be honest, all of us would've researched the iPad extensively, some without even knowing it, before we bought it.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope the OP forgives me for saying this, but I sometimes wonder if some of these questions are here to bait.

Excuse me for saying this, but anyone who is really serious about photo editing/digital darkroom work KNOWS that only a fully spec'd desktop is truely suitable; even a high end laptop is a poor second place.

I agree with this too. What the iPad is good for is that it has a bigger display than your camera. If you can manage to quickly transfer pictures you take to the iPad you'll see the result faster and maybe redo the picture to your liking.

As it is, the iPad is not even usable to carry pictures as to offload your camera's content. Because you can't put pictures back on a card. But you can bring those pictures back in iTunes though.

It's just a fancy picture viewer but I like it for that.

OP
J
Reaction score

I know that pretty much 'cause that's what I got fullys pec'd desktop at home AND ... I AM A PROFFESIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER :mad:, but I din't know what I Ipad was for. I gussed iPad as an advanced Laptop. I could use demostrate in front my client my abilities while attract them with this peace of tecnology. Now I'm sorry if someone sucks with this question of mine, to the rest of you who clear me up my missundertood THANK YOU VERY MUCH

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I gussed iPad as an advanced Laptop.
Obviously you are not alone. I think there are quite a few people out there who bought an iPad and made the same assumption because it was being sold by Apple. And what does Apple do? They make computers!

Now take the Kindle for example. I mean the actual Kindle readers from Amazon, not the app for the iPad. It is marketed by a company known primarily for selling books and this device has but one purpose... to read books. No, it does not have the functionality of an iPad, and it wasn't meant to. But on the flip side, people are not upset after buying a Kindle because it won't "do apps".

With all due respect however, (uh oh, you know you're in trouble now!), Apple does not market the iPad as a "re-packaged" laptop so this notion that it was, as you say, an "advanced laptop" did not come from Apple or any of its promotional material. Yes, some people here can be less-than-diplomatic in their posts, but the person you really should be angry with is the person who told you that an iPad could do what a laptop could do because they lied to you.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank for your answer mr 1991-C4. well now I got it I should give it a good use. thanks I you come here before but it.

Most reactions

Latest posts