What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rupert Murdoch and Steve Jobs Joining Forces to Create iNewspaper

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

The Guardian reports that News Corp head Rupert Murdoch and Apple CEO Steve Jobs are planning to announce a new digital newspaper called the Daily by the end of November. According to The Guardian, Jobs and Murdoch have secretly been working on the project in New York for the past few months, which would see the first newspaper in the world to be designed exclusively for tablets such as the iPad.

Of course many newspapers already have their own iPhone and iPad versions, but the Daily would differ from these in that it would have no print or web presence, and would be a solely digital publication. With no printing or distribution costs, the Daily, which would be focused on US news, would retail for as little as $0.99/Ă‚ÂŁ0.62 per week.

The Guardian piece refers to additional reporting on the subject in Woman’s Wear Daily which says that the Daily will be based on the 26th floor of News Corps’ New York offices, and that 100 journalists have already been employed to work on the paper, including the Sun’s online editor, Pete Picton.

Apparently Murdoch had the initial idea for the digital-only Daily after reading in a survey that readers spent more time reading articles and content on their iPad than they did on the Internet.

Source: The Guardian

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless Apple have secured some kind of agreement that allow them to maintain the editorial policy, this is *not* any kind of good news.

Uncle Rupert is notorious for editorial interference and for causing supposed news stories to take an angle aimed at fomenting political disaffection and presenting a particular and patently unfair position to the exclusion of the real, total truth.

I do not take this well, and it causes me to reconsider my recent switch to Apple products and my abandonment of Microsoft.

This is not a good sign for the Apple community. Not at all.

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My comments are personal, and are not a reflection of the position of the Commonwealth Secretariat or the Commonwealth Foundation, although they have been the victims of News Corp at various points in their history.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a lot of respect for Steve, especially after his Stanford address, but this is flirting with the dark side...

haggisgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless Apple have secured some kind of agreement that allow them to maintain the editorial policy, this is *not* any kind of good news.

Uncle Rupert is notorious for editorial interference and for causing supposed news stories to take an angle aimed at fomenting political disaffection and presenting a particular and patently unfair position to the exclusion of the real, total truth.

I do not take this well, and it causes me to reconsider my recent switch to Apple products and my abandonment of Microsoft.

This is not a good sign for the Apple community. Not at all.

I agree, George. That will be one "news" app I won't be purchasing.

Most reactions

Latest posts