What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running Windows 8 on iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

trades

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While windows 8 is in beta test mode, they have had a news release showing their up and coming touch interface, plus they also have claim no matter the hardware windows 8 will operate. Would the right jailbreak and windows 8 run on the iPad ?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYSSdSNFjhU&feature=player_embedded&list=PLA9CD87B1B3824A2A"]windows 8 touch interface video link[/ame]

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - as the previous poster points out - there is absolutely no way this will run on an iPad. They meant it would run on any Windows-compatible hardware.

Tim

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Isn't the future win8 supposed to run on both arm and pc hardware?

Regardless it's the software thats important not the os.

(Damn just done a three finger swipe across my monitor screen........)

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually if it's at all possible someone will do it just for the bragging rights....

OP
T

trades

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Windows 8 on iPAd Will happen

As any real mac owner has vmware and runs windows 7 on their mac for all the great products and software mac fails to have due to their closed loop way of business. For any1 wanting to escape the iPad closed enviroment and app store the only choice is to jailbreak. Now with the coming of windows 8 it does run on mac which is not a Windows machine and will be hacked to run on iPad. All our mac desktops and laptops have win 7 on them, we already know the iPad will have win8 through the cloud that is a no brainer, but when and who's getting to the plate first with the hack to run ipad natively with windows 8. Hardware doesn't matter to windows 8, windows, linux, android or mac their all software using hardware. Apples solid hardware is a perfect choice to run the new windows 8 os, ios is replaceable! Stay seated to see in coming months. You may owe me a beer for your iPad to actually be part of a production environment as it is not running the ios!

OP
T

trades

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Watch the full video before commenting on this thread

Isn't the future win8 supposed to run on both arm and pc hardware?

Regardless it's the software thats important not the os.

(Damn just done a three finger swipe across my monitor screen........)

We know windows 8 focus is not on what device you have, but to run on any device be it mobile, tablet, laptop, desktop, arm or any chips for that matter.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd buy you a create if in the coming months the iPad was running Windows8. Not because I'm desperate to see it, just because it would be a miracle. The last jailbreak took many months of work and that was just to gain root access to the stock OS, not to mention the is no bootrom exploit for iPad2 yet.

Have you any idea how challenging it is to get an iDevice to even dual boot 2 versions of IOS, let alone port another OS to run on Apple hardware?

Since we have had excellent low level exploits for iPhone4 and iPad1 for a long time now, why is there not a workable Android replacement if as you say, IOS is so replaceable? Android is an open source mobile device operating system after all? Heck, there's even a tablet version of it. That project fell flat on it's face a long time ago. Why? Because there are some challenges that are just not worth the effort.

Don't believe the hype. Windows 8 is not some magical code base that can be just dropped onto any old piece of hardware. This is Microsoft. They haven't been transformed into the worlds most dynamic OS developers overnight.

Anyhoo. Sounds like your psyched for W8. Just save up for a nice shiny Windows8Tab which will actually be designed to run the thing. By the time they hit market I'll probably be enjoying my iPadHD Retina Edition... :D

ThaSatelliteGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And FYI... Just because windows 8 will run on a Mac without VMware is not a miracle. Macs are intel based machines nowadays. I have snow leopard and vista dual booting on my macpro2 and have had it that way since the day I got it, 3 1/2 years ago. One of my buds just built himself a hackintosh from frys about 6 months ago. THESE ARE INTEL MACHINE THOUGH! These are NOT iPads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions