What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running low on storage

J.D

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.HaxorNoob.com
Hey guys I have been monitoring my iPads storage 16GB but when bought it is only 14GB as there is a little bit reserved for iOS updates and files. I now have 3.5GB left and I would love to free up some space, so is there any way to do this without having to delete games and apps as well as having to take them off and use them as back-ups on iTunes... the thing that is using up most of my storage is the videos which I have downloaded off iTunes and currently watching.

Advice would be great

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Best option is to stream your videos from your desktop/laptop. Videos take up the most space ranging between 750 mb to 1.5gb.

Suggest you look at AirVideo, as the app I prefer, ZumoCast, is temporarily unavailable.

OP
J

J.D

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.HaxorNoob.com
The videos are iTunes compatible only as I bought them off there (Buffy Season 8 Motion Comic in HD, issue 1 - 19) and if I back them up on my PC I would be able to watch them using AirVideo?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Only caution I'll give you about using Air Video is this quote directly from the app description in the App Store:

"Air Video will not play DRM protected videos. All video content purchased through iTunes includes DRM. Video podcast content is free and does not include DRM protection."

So, for your iTunes purchased video, I'd say no, Air Video will not work for you (well, on THOSE particular videos).

I also don't know of another streaming app that'll work well not over your local WiFi/LAN. Maybe Splashtop will work for you (definitely while at home ... not sure how to set it up for outside the home)? Or some of the other remote desktop apps?

Or, you could wait to see wait Zumocast comes back with ... as they are supposed to return in a couple of months. I have the app and I must say, I am glad I do as it works great.

Or, look into the new Air Stash? It's a $99 (USD) device that'll allow you to stream videos/pictures/etc. wirelessly (over its own WiFi network) to your iPad. I have my eyes on this myself. Just waiting for a bit - they are supposed to be coming out with an app to make it easier to use (but, if you get it now, you'll get software updates from the vendor).

Mainly, just wanted you to be aware of the Air Video limitations on iTunes purchased and/or DRM videos. Sorry to ramble on about other things...

Marilyn

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ah thanks Mickey. Didn't know that as I use zumocast by preference. Have the airvideo app but it's languishing on a hard drive somewhere.

Most reactions

Latest posts